Lay-back posts

ededwards":2iog97uq said:
Isn't the above perhaps confusing layback posts e.g. USE Alien, Race Face XY with those with a 'kink' (insert joke of choice here) e.g. Thomson? Surely a regular layback post could drop as far into the frame as an inline?

Good point - I was only commenting on those bent layback posts like Thompson and Moots - the others I would probably not even spot.

I have found that with SPDs an in-line post produced a bit of knee and ankle stress because it brought my backside is almost directly above the BB and so cramped my pedalling action. I now use a Suntour XC pro seat pin which has a bit of layback and allowed my back-side can be further back and so allowed greater freedom for my pedalling action. Maybe I'm just a freak and so this only applies to me but it is worth thinking about if you have unexplained aches in your knees and ankles.

Well nobody could seriously say that Merlin looks anything other than superb, and equally obviously Wu-Tangled knows more about biking than I do. But I must say that *in general* if I see a bike with a lay-back post, the seat as far back on the rails as it will go, a long stem and 40mm of stem stackers, I think 'signs there that the rider is too big for that frame'.

And sometimes also 'I wonder if he'd sell it to me cheap, to part fund a bigger one?'

this is all a question of fit. use a frame with a 71degree seatube? yeh in an ideal world, but most high end frames short of custom built to your body dimensions use around a 73. my mate curlys curto, which became jezs, then joes had a slack seatangle purely to use a standard inline post & to be honest curly wished he'd gone with a standard seattube angle & layback post as it just felt odd. (not why he sold it, trails are mega rough around here, we're all on XC FS now ;) )
yes inline posts do look better, I fully agree. but a lot of people are forced to use a layback post purely for fit

I don't mind an inline on mine if the seat is fairly far back on it (aesthetically speaking).

But I have to say, as Anthony says, the clues are there that the frame is too small for me, but it ain't. My last Pace was but this one is bang on. Never ridden a bike that fits me as well as this one set up this way.

Joe'll testify to this...I am at one with that set up. (except an OCD need to change tyres a lot...even mid ride :D :oops: :shock: :roll: :D )

Question of personal feeling/ preference isn't it? How else could Tintin steer that low centre of gravity, high rebound factor, low brake potential, high tyre pressured 1.5in Conti wearing rigid Trimble through a rock garden at the speed he does if he weren't at one with it.?

:D

Production bikes are just that, production, they're not custom fitted to each and every individual rider. The way that a rider can custom fit a production frame is by buying the size frame that is the best fit (which will obviously be a compromise in some way as it isn't custom built) and tune the seatpost, stem and handlebar dimensions to get the fit right.

As for the frame design aspect of it, BITD in-line posts weren't really widely used, so weren't frames designed taking into account the fact that riders would use a layback post?

If I see a nice bike with a layback Thompson on it you can be pretty sure the owner is a poser not a rider :twisted:

That will be then :roll: To be fair I just bought a LB Thomson (not Thompson ;) ) as I have always found reach to short and I don't want a tiller like stem. All based on no knowledge or experience...but I'm going to try it.

Am I a poser?....well I do like beautiful and functional bits of kit, so if that makes me a poser so be it. Couldn't give a tinkers curse what someone else thinks :LOL:

personally, I prefer to run a shorter stem/layback post as i quite like the snappier handling up front and being a bit more over the rear wheel for descending... its only slightly problematic uphill when you have light forks (not applicable on my main bike with 120mm Bombers).

oh, and for what its worth, I actually prefer the look of layback posts, over inline... saying that i prefer the look of flat bars but dislike riding with them generally.

theboy":1gytkac5 said:
personally, I prefer to run a shorter stem/layback post as i quite like the snappier handling up front and being a bit more over the rear wheel for descending....

ditto that

Latest posts

Back