The 'Spare' - 1991 GT Timberline

Hi Mike, are you replying to mmy post?

My bike is on flickr.com now.

I have taken pics of all the details I can.
under user- timberline1991
I canot upload pics in this room the PC is not set up for it

mikee":1trcw4yx said:
same as mine
pics later if i can

no sorry
i meant the o/p one and the one in the catalog scan but with the
flip flop stem (as lgf's )

OK with you now mikee ( :
I dont see many older Marins about.Quite rare downunder.
The newer ones are selling well however and more common.
All my ones are from recycled designations.
Did anyone find out who actually does the fancy drizzled custom paint on the frames referencing USA Expressionist artist Jason Pollock?

Hi GM,

Wow many thanks for 1991 confirmation.
The pic of the timberline BBS is up on page 1 of this 'spare timberline' thread. It shows the banks of serial numbers clearly.
On the LHS of the BBS is 'T 9205'. On the RHS of the BBS are two rows of numbers. They are: A034 on the top, then 0760 on the bottom row. I am sure it is a 4 digit number and not an alpha O prefix.
I may be stumpjumping but the T 92 part may be 1992? T maybe Timberline designation?

So what do all the numbers mean?

It is in your hands now ...

I have another old GT in black. It is low end but interesting. I must get some pictrues for everyone to look at. I have some of the Timberline frame on flickr also. I need to look around for F & R derailluers, cables, & shifters as these were absent when I bought it.

gm1230126":34e8bvsd said:
derailled":34e8bvsd said:
I have reason to believe mine is a 1991 model Timberline maybe the intro model? manily by the graphis style used. They [Timberlines] dont seem to appear in the line up 1990? Mine is odd in that it has two stem cap screws to secure the bars. All others seem to have one cap screw. I have a color coord stem with frame color so not an after market fitment.
The chainwheel is Shimano - dual SIS.Satin chrome appearance with black plastic cyclic guard.

Post a picture along with the serial number which probably begins with a T and I'll tell you what year it is. The Timberline was one of the two original GT mountain bike models back in 1985 the other was the Backwoods....and has been around a long time. It was offered in green a number of years. The model name decals were on the down tube from 88-92 and in 93 they began putting the model name on the top tube. It was offered in Green in 1991 with a two cinch bolt higher rise stem. Was spec'd with a Shimano 300 LX group w/ 400LX rear derailleur and Exage u-brake. Yours is definitely a 91.

derailled":1f9twkhu said:
Hi GM,

Wow many thanks for 1991 confirmation.
The pic of the timberline BBS is up on page 1 of this 'spare timberline' thread. It shows the banks of serial numbers clearly.
On the LHS of the BBS is 'T 9205'. On the RHS of the BBS are two rows of numbers. They are: A034 on the top, then 0760 on the bottom row. I am sure it is a 4 digit number and not an alpha O prefix.
I may be stumpjumping but the T 92 part may be 1992? T maybe Timberline designation?

So what do all the numbers mean?

It is in your hands now ...

Taioku was the Factory in Tawian where the final assembly was done, the 92 represents the year the frame was made.

I have another old GT in black. It is low end but interesting. I must get some pictrues for everyone to look at. I have some of the Timberline frame on flickr also. I need to look around for F & R derailluers, cables, & shifters as these were absent when I bought it.

gm1230126":1f9twkhu said:
derailled":1f9twkhu said:
I have reason to believe mine is a 1991 model Timberline maybe the intro model? manily by the graphis style used. They [Timberlines] dont seem to appear in the line up 1990? Mine is odd in that it has two stem cap screws to secure the bars. All others seem to have one cap screw. I have a color coord stem with frame color so not an after market fitment.
The chainwheel is Shimano - dual SIS.Satin chrome appearance with black plastic cyclic guard.

Post a picture along with the serial number which probably begins with a T and I'll tell you what year it is. The Timberline was one of the two original GT mountain bike models back in 1985 the other was the Backwoods....and has been around a long time. It was offered in green a number of years. The model name decals were on the down tube from 88-92 and in 93 they began putting the model name on the top tube. It was offered in Green in 1991 with a two cinch bolt higher rise stem. Was spec'd with a Shimano 300 LX group w/ 400LX rear derailleur and Exage u-brake. Yours is definitely a 91.

P1020526.jpg

late as ever

Back