The 'Spare' - 1991 GT Timberline

Who actually paints these bikes?
Custom paint drizzles?

legrandefromage":31e3yr47 said:
Bought as a 'fixer-upper' from here to sort out a mate with a bike.

But, it was too big so I find myself with a 'spare' - nice size for me!

Its quite nice, needs a weightloss plan (those tyres are awful).

But like I say, its a spare...

Refurbished 300/500LX mix

Araya wheels

Tange 1000 tubing

started out as:

007-2.jpg

legrandefromage":2s9trgso said:
drystonepaul":2s9trgso said:
Ah the summer of 1991 eh...? Jumpers for goalposts etc...

Looks great LGF but are you sure it isn't a 1992 model?

Oh dont you start... :LOL:

I was going by the stem and paint job. RB's catalogue scan leave it inconclusive.

The boy is correct...it's a 1992 model year Timberline. Regardlles of when the serial number indicates the frame was built. The Daktari White paint scheme was introduced by GT in 1991 and brought down to a lower price point the next year as GT did with many of their special colors. Pic is scanned from the 1992 GT All Terra Catalog. Note the line in the scan, I had to torture the trifold page of the catalog to get the scan :( You'ld be frowning too if you knew what that catalog cost me.

LFG yours is wearing an Avalanche stem from 91 then, correct?

Attachments

• 92 timberline.jpeg
    92 timberline.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 9,454
derailled":2toapyed said:
Where can I locate 1990 - 1995 GT catalogs/brochures? You mention RB?

Some are posted or linked here on retrobike in the catalog link at the top or on the German Katalog site but the good US versions of 92 and 94 and 95, 96, 97 are not. I posted the 1991 in the Catalogue thread a year or so back. Believe me when I say it takes forever and a day to scan one of these beasts in and shrink them to a downloadable size. There lies a little problem with the rest of the model years. Even in the US back in 1992 and 94 the catalogs were in short supply. Business was good and GT just didn't print enough and as a result the good US 1992 and 1994 catalogs are tough to come by and can get costly in auction format...so many (like myself) who might own them are unwilling to take the time to scan them and downsize and upload them freely for the world to copy and paste anywhere. Selfish? You may think so but I paid for them. I've spent a couple hundred easily on catalogs. Some on eBay, some from First Flight/MOMBAT and others in a personal Christmas care package from a former GT dealer in Ohio that sent me 30lbs of GT catalogs for $50. The other problem... The 95-97 US GT catalogs were done in a 28cm x 28cm format. LARGE that is... and there's not many scanning tables even at good graphics store locations that can scan a document of that size. I live in a town of 50,000 and haven't found one yet and we house a couple of major global companies with some MAJOR equipment in their marketing and ad departments. I don't even have all the years scanned into my computer yet because I work 60 hours a week and like to spend what little time is left on a bike or in the basement shop. I've got duplicates for a number of years and would be willing to sell some off to recoup some of my investment in them.

that looks just like my 92 timberline
a nice bike (as all GT's are) bit heavy tho

legrandefromage":2op9zv72 said:
original stem btw

drystonepaul had this from me - the only bike not arrive in the condition it was posted.

So you're telling me that for the UK market they shipped a lower rise, shorter extension, paint to match stem than what the catalog shows and says?

Hui GM,

many thanks for your in depth reply.
Yes some scanners can take an age depended on the res or dpi you want.
You are right about your valuable brochures/catalogs because when they are older the spines get ruined folding them out flat. However it is very rewarding to receive the benefit of your munificent donation of these scans online here at retrobike. On behalf of myself and many others many thanks.

Yes I have been finding few links and I have reason to believe mine is a 1991 model Timberline maybe the intro model? Mainly by the style of graphics used. They [Timberlines] dont seem to appear in the line up 1990? Mine is odd in that it has two stem cap screws to secure the bars. All others seem to have one cap screw. I have a color co-ord stem with frame color so not an after market fitment.
The chainwheel is Shimano - dual SIS.Satin chrome appearance with black plastic cyclic guard.

Yes ebay is crazy I used tyo collect car catalogs. Simple healing Bicycles in New zealand catalogues we spell it are going for up to $40.00NZ.
I got nice NZ BMX layout for c1984 in a bicycle show catalog here, which listed a lot of the brands availble in that year.
Now I wise up and go around all the bike shops here to get their cataologs.. The Avanti brand is designed heer in NZ and some parts are made offshore. They have a sumptuous catalog.So get them when they come out is best .
Many car places will not give you one.. Dunedin Harley Davidson dealers are miserable cheap as... b......ds and the worst ...Dont they know about dreams...

gm1230126":3tg1jigc said:
derailled":3tg1jigc said:
Where can I locate 1990 - 1995 GT catalogs/brochures? You mention RB?

Some are posted or linked here on retrobike in the catalog link at the top or on the German Katalog site but the good US versions of 92 and 94 and 95, 96, 97 are not. I posted the 1991 in the Catalogue thread a year or so back. Believe me when I say it takes forever and a day to scan one of these beasts in and shrink them to a downloadable size. There lies a little problem with the rest of the model years. Even in the US back in 1992 and 94 the catalogs were in short supply. Business was good and GT just didn't print enough and as a result the good US 1992 and 1994 catalogs are tough to come by and can get costly in auction format...so many (like myself) who might own them are unwilling to take the time to scan them and downsize and upload them freely for the world to copy and paste anywhere. Selfish? You may think so but I paid for them. I've spent a couple hundred easily on catalogs. Some on eBay, some from First Flight/MOMBAT and others in a personal Christmas care package from a former GT dealer in Ohio that sent me 30lbs of GT catalogs for $50. The other problem... The 95-97 US GT catalogs were done in a 28cm x 28cm format. LARGE that is... and there's not many scanning tables even at good graphics store locations that can scan a document of that size. I live in a town of 50,000 and haven't found one yet and we house a couple of major global companies with some MAJOR equipment in their marketing and ad departments. I don't even have all the years scanned into my computer yet because I work 60 hours a week and like to spend what little time is left on a bike or in the basement shop. I've got duplicates for a number of years and would be willing to sell some off to recoup some of my investment in them.

Attachments

• 100_1964.JPG
    100_1964.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 3,409
  • 100_1949.JPG
    100_1949.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 3,409
derailled":23chho91 said:
I have reason to believe mine is a 1991 model Timberline maybe the intro model? manily by the graphis style used. They [Timberlines] dont seem to appear in the line up 1990? Mine is odd in that it has two stem cap screws to secure the bars. All others seem to have one cap screw. I have a color coord stem with frame color so not an after market fitment.
The chainwheel is Shimano - dual SIS.Satin chrome appearance with black plastic cyclic guard.

Post a picture along with the serial number which probably begins with a T and I'll tell you what year it is. The Timberline was one of the two original GT mountain bike models back in 1985 the other was the Backwoods....and has been around a long time. It was offered in green a number of years. The model name decals were on the down tube from 88-92 and in 93 they began putting the model name on the top tube. It was offered in Green in 1991 with a two cinch bolt higher rise stem. Was spec'd with a Shimano 300 LX group w/ 400LX rear derailleur and Exage u-brake. Yours is definitely a 91.

Back