Jason McRoy's Salsa ala carte

jjwood

Retro Guru
Here's a project thats been in my garage for about a 18 months. Some of you may remember seeing it on ebay. Well, I won the auction but after some further negotiation managed to buy it from the Previous owner, Steve Armstrong, a friend of Jason McRoy.

He bought the bike in the 90's from the McRoy family and rebuilt it like as you see below. To verify this he put me in touch with Michael Bonny who works for Orange and he confirmed that it is the "Salsa ala carte". Michael used to ride with the club Jason rode with, he also know's the where abouts of the original FSR.

So here start a thread rebuilding the JMC Salsa to its former glory. I have been collecting parts since the purchase, which as you know can take an age.

I have found so far:

Tioga disc drive mk1
Nuke proof front hub early thin version, may need to change for one with correct decal..
Grafton speed controllers in black
Cooks cranks in black and CQP cranks as i can't make my mind up which ones were used.
Flite saddle.
Mag 20's
Salsa stem
Black porcs
Salsa decals from Ross Shaffer
Salsa early seat q/r

Need to find:

Large Rock shox decals for fork legs
Mechs
Chain
Rims
Brake levers
Shifters
Seat post
Early Salsa qr's in black (no writing)

Can anyone help with information, pics and/or knowledge of the bike, I followed Jez's thread for his replica but any more info and more detailed pictures will help. The bike seems to have been used to the limit so alot of parts were changed over its life, making it hard to get a definitive build spec.

You can see from the pictures below that Steve fitted disc's brakes, as I wont to restore it to it's original 90's look these will have to go as well as the paint job. Does anyone have any recommendations on painting, I have used Argos before and the awesome spectrum powder works in the US, any idea's. Dave Lloyd has been recommended, but the jelly bean strokes need to be authentic looking.

I will keep you posted.

Attachments

• Salsa 1.jpg
    Salsa 1.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 7,105
  • Salsa 2.jpg
    Salsa 2.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 7,105
  • Salsa 3.jpg
    Salsa 3.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 7,094
  • Salsa 4.jpg
    Salsa 4.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 7,106
Not even quite sure what to say!

An Iconic frame, glad to hear it is being rebuilt to it's original period spec.

I did wonder who ended up with this. I was trying to do a deal on the bike with the seller but found him difficult to work with. He also has Sophies old bike- do you know where it is now?

The whereabouts of the FSR has been discussed on Retrobike in the past and there are photos too. It is still safe and sound here in the North East and is so original it atill carries the dirt from the last time it was riden.

salsa

Yes, this is the salsa he rode for Mbuk, the one from all the photos and memories.

I also found Steve difficult to deal with, took a while, but I got the bike in the end. He also knows where Sophies bike is and he offered it to me last month, but I have heard nothing since. Would be good to do a back to back build.

Any ideas what bars and group it had...

He told me that Sophies bike was original and un-touched. It might have been built to the same spec and could therefore yeald a few clues as to what Jason's bike originally wore. My intention was to keep the two bikes together but the vendor was more interested in profit than sentiment.

It is comforting to know that you are putting it back to jmc spec. It looks pretty kooky at the minute.

All the best with this build. Will be watching closely.

Back