Removing disk tabs!

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I know this is the other way around for most, but have some forks going on my old frame from 92/93 (axle crown is 390mm by the way - no chopper here!), anyway, what is the best way to remove the ugly disc tab?

Just cut it off, and file slowly until smooth enough to use glasspaper etc for completely smooth finish?

Attachments

• Forks.jpg
    Forks.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 838
would they be kniffens by any chance? sorry to not be of help, just being nosey :p
bumpage though:D

I'd use a junior hacksaw to get the majority of it off. Then file the rest away until you're nearly at tube level (keep checking at different angles to see how close you are). Then use some course wet & dry (maybe 240-400 grade) to smooth off. Then you can use some finer wet and dry to remove the scratch marks. Job done :)

I'd leave them on personally. Removing them is easy, and can be done with hand tools. A hacksaw, and then shape with a bastard file, smooth with medium file, fine finish with a fine file drawn sideways over the material, then wet sandblock with 240, 400, 800 and 1200 grit paper. A final hard polish using a piece of wood wrapped in soft cloth and autosol will see a mirror smooth shiny finish.

A grinder will generate a lot of heat, which, depending upon the material, could harden, soften or otherwise change the properties of the metal. Neither scenario is good, as either way can drastically improve the chances of an unexpected faceplant when it fails. Keep it cool

If its steel you'll need to think about rust protection for the cut surface. Theres little point going to all that trouble and then letting it rust. Re chroming is the best option, but a 2 pack laquer might work. Difficult though with no surface to key it to.

Thanks all getting powdercoated so not worried on rust - will be blasted before and treated after.

They are kiffen forks. Good spot!

Latest posts

Back