Fongers - ut Groningen

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Another enthousiast created this websource on early Fongers of Groningen, The Netherlands:

http://www.fongers.net

Today I added my Fongers Professional to the VeloBase database. View it here >>

on VeloBase

I hope you like :)

5384379660_b7e41382e3_z.jpg

jC,

Thanks. It is a 53cm c-t frame, the 2nd smallest available frame. According to the catalogue stock Professional frames were available from 52cm to 63cm in 1cm increments.

The catalogue also mentions a full Dura-Ace specced bike has a weight of 9.7kg. The Fongers was available as full bike with Nuovo Record or Dura-Ace and as frameset only with Nuovo Record or Dura-Ace headset installed.

When I got my hands on this bike it had a full Dura-Ace groupset fitted, but the hubs were Nuovo Record. Cockpit came from 3T and post was a SR Super ExtraLight (with the ti hardware). It was an ex team Van Eyck bike. Van Eyck team - an amateur team from the early 80s.

Catalogue >>

5384377196_4073a8455e_z.jpg

'Fietsplezier' (~ bicycling joy) :)

That is a real simplification of the actual situation. Before 1970 Fongers was an independent bicycle manufacturer from Groningen, The Netherlands. Fongers had a great reputation in refining what abroad is know as the Dutch-style bicycle. The Fongers name you associated with 1st rate quality immediately. Among their clients was the royal family of The Netherlands.

Around 1970 the group also Batavus was part of acquired Fongers. This Fongers Professional is made in the same shop the Batavus Professional was made. You can see it. I have a nearly indentical Batavus Professional. For that Batavus they chose for 531C however and the graphics differ. In all other finishing details and even colour it is identical.

Back