Removing Lock On grips

BertR00t

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am having a hell of a time trying to remove some of these.

They have a couple of inbound screws and one on the cap. I take all these out and the things come off easily but there is a collar thing on the bars that I cannot see how to get off. Pics below.

7d41b2d6.jpg

c966f07a.jpg

Anyone done this or have a clue what is holding these buggers so tight?

Put the grip back on but don't fully tighten the bolt up, then pull/twist the grip the clamp should come off with it.

A little lubrication around the clamp may help

Or loosen the brake lever clamp bolt & use it like a slide hammer against the lock on clamp

You haven't overtightened them and crushed the carbon bar a bit have you? You only need to nip the clamp up enough to stop the grip from slipping

Wow, did it in a flash. Thanks for that, great tip.

First pair of Lock On grips that were on the bike when I got it and they are easy when you do it right.

the ones with lock on collars that go over the grip are easier too, i've had a few grub screws go on that style on syncros grips

Excellent!
Glad we did your hoses, I had a go at one of mine last night on a standard hose, done in seconds :D
You've not got a spare 180 rotor knocking around have you?
I have a 185 but it's binding on this caliper, just too big

Think the rear on my Hayes is a 180. Bad thing is I have no idea what I have done with the thing. I found the front one last night when I was messing about which alerted me to the fact I have no idea where the rear is. I need to tidy up the shed and sharpish. I have a security solution to sort this weekend. :roll:

Back