Garmins and GPS

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Anyone using them for riding? How do you find satellite coverage? What are you using?

mine only lost it a bit in heavy tree cover, i use a garmin edge 605
it's really good, especially the extra info you can get by syncing with garmin connect online
i would recommend the extra map pack though, the basemap is pants
Topo GB is a good one to look out for

I use my phone, a Nokia E71 with the free sports tracker app. lots of smartphones have a GPS which can be used for tracking rides

Last ride data from yesterday's ride at Thetford

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout ... c6jse31v13

Occasionally it drops out in deep forest cover, and sometimes my phone decides to throw a paddy and stop recording the data

Smart phones aren't much use if you want a GPS for finding your way or following a route though

This was with Garmin 305 today. If you follow it there is quite a lot of woodland, I can't see the signal being lost at all. The first half of the ride was on road, the other off, it was really pluggy mud.

http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/de ... rd-/100081

I like that site for viewing, it takes in heartrate and manages to suck in the weather from somewhere?

Mapping wise for areas I don't know I use memory map on pocket PC HTC Touch phone. That needs to see sky.

HTC Desire running all kinds of different GPS apps.

Currently my favourite is MapMyRide, though i'm about to give SportsTracker a go once i've finished one of the MMR challenges.

Are you on iPhone paininthe? the only problem i've found with HRM on Android is the limited selection of them.

BobCatMax":2wyzgpfc said:
Are you on iPhone paininthe? the only problem i've found with HRM on Android is the limited selection of them.

No, that's on the Garmin

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that it is "tools for the job" a phone for phoning, camera for pictures, Garmin for plotting.

I upgraded to a HTC Desire HD. It should do everything I want, and it does, but not particularly well. The camera is slow, GPS needs clear sky, I haven't tried BT hrm but at £80! my hrm and gps plotter was £105 together in one package. Always been a odd about hanging my phone on the handlebars aswell.

paininthe":2fru1982 said:
BobCatMax":2fru1982 said:

No, that's on the Garmin

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that it is "tools for the job" a phone for phoning, camera for pictures, Garmin for plotting.

I upgraded to a HTC Desire HD. It should do everything I want, and it does, but not particularly well. The camera is slow, GPS needs clear sky, I haven't tried BT hrm but at £80! my hrm and gps plotter was £105 together in one package. Always been a odd about hanging my phone on the handlebars aswell.

I think thats the answer I'm looking for :) I was kinda swithering on just getting a phone.

I'm looking at the 500 or the 705

Really impressed with the upload sites too. More than what I'm after but pretty cool :D

Bought an Edge 800 3 weeks ago or so. Absolutely love it! Still haven't got my head around all the functionality of it (steep learning curve), but impressions so far:

Training:
Great to see the heart rate monitor. All data fields are customisable so you can set your own heart rate zones and have the gadget give you alarms when you're not in whatever zone you want to be. If you're into workouts then this can help to set and reach targets. Rode 60km the other day, nearly all in D3 (130-150bpm) specifically to help build up endurance. During the next ride more focus on d4&5 to help build power. Great fun! And afterwards you can see where (on the map or in google earth) you peaked (or slumped) and what you pace, speed, altitude, etc was when you did so.

Navigation and rides:
Brilliant! I recently moved to a different region in the country, not knowing my around that much, and usually riding my bikes when others are working, the GPS is great 'cause it allows you you to download routes from others (plenty about online, check www.gpsies.com for example) and ride them with step by step navigation assistance. Lock-on to satellites works very well with the Edge800 also under tree cover, although I am curious to see how that works in summer, when the canopy is more dense. Better than with previous models according to Garmin, but then they would say that of course.

For me this is the best cycling related buy since a looong time

Cheers, Giel

Back