Restored and Modified Mid 90's Pine Mountain

Davey

Old School Hero
Was looking sorry for its self after years of abuse, so I decided to give it a new lease of life, the frame was completely vapour blasted so stripped back to bare metal :)

Hopefully it wont insult the purists :D

I know that it needs a new seat post, but im having problems finding one with the right diameter that is long enough for me :)

Dscf0027.jpg

Dscf0028.jpg

Dscf0029.jpg

Dscf0030.jpg

Dscf0032.jpg

Dscf0034.jpg

Dscf0038.jpg

Retro Not

Lovely bike, but gruppo err not very retro! disc brakes and current Shimmy kit and a vee brake on a Canti hanger frame! Sacrilage, would look so much better with older kit on, What is the post diameter?

I know its Sacralige, but I wanted something modern yet hard as nails, if you know what I mean :D The frame is like a sherman tank! and I've had it for over decade :LOL:

I've got some 'proper' retro condition bikes but they are not as nice to ride :(

Post is 29.4mm by the way :D

Looking good, but be nice to see some old(er) groupo on it. My RTS groupo stuff is from 97 and still running well.
Get in touch with Ed, Orange71, re: seat post. He is about 8ft tall and may be able to help.

Its tempting to build another proper retro bike but for a daily rider its nice to have all the latest gear :D I'm building another bike at the mo for a daily rider so this one will be up for sale soon, got a guy at work whos interested in it hopefully :)

Looked exactly like my '94 until I saw the fat seatpost.

I too have worn out or trashed everything original on it except the frame and the rear hub which refuses to die (but is on its 4th or 5th freewheel body.)

Nice paintjob.

Don't apologise for the modern gear, its your bike!! As cool as the fully retro bikes are, its also cool to see some that have been improved with the new technology.

I reckon its looking great. I always liked the look of Marin's but unfortunately they were never available in Western Australia so have never had the chance to ride or buy one.

Indeed. Build it as you want it - just coz it's an old frame doesn't mean it can't have a new pair of shoes.

I built up an old Manitou HT with some pretty modern gear. 27 speed XT shifters and chainset, 2007 XT front disc and LX wheels, Manitou Mars forks. But kept an old XT rear mech, original XT V Brake....

Built up into a very nice bike. Didn't actually ride it though as another project came along :roll:

Attachments

• Manitou HT Left.JPG
    Manitou HT Left.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,699
  • Manitou HT Right.JPG
    Manitou HT Right.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,699

Latest posts

Back