Macretro - Baltic Bawbags Pitlochry Classic - 30th Jan 2011

one advantage of the fox carpark start is that there is a holiday inn express next door so long distance travellers could stay over the saturday night

Fettykill fox does sound like the best option, here are the pics I took on the rece yesterday, as you can see the start is very nice and worth a jaunt in a few weeks I reckon...

This is all North or West facing...
IMG_6031.jpg

IMG_6034.jpg

IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_6036.jpg

Then the ice started on the shaded slopes...

IMG_6040.jpg

IMG_6043.jpg

IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_6046.jpg

IMG_6047.jpg

IMG_6048.jpg

IMG_6049.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

I did see 2 Fallow and 1 Red Deer...... and 2 Peacocks???

Urg !!!

Your right TK, thats not rideable :shock:

However DaveDH claims he has an alternative Dunkeld route thats all low lying. I've told him to post up this plan for your perusal as he's not keen on anything else other than Laggan :roll:

Think I should build a spiked tyred off road trike for Dunkeld so I get purchase and cant fall over (as much) :LOL:

I do have an idea for a home bodged trike which one day may see the light of nightime in an unlit backwood somewhere :LOL:

Alternative route as promised, starts a couple of mile further in Pitlochry, follows riverside as far as food at Killiecrankie, then back other side of the river to start and more food and pubs, easy to medium singletrack and wide path, nice views, mellow gradient, small amount of tarmac at start, never far from escape to home, etc...

A nice easy bimble for chatting and unfit buggers with a bonus of cracking scottish scenery!

5383826995_21a889b647_b.jpg

Well done Dave, I like the look of that, how big is the loop? Are you happy to lead us round? I think I know the bits around Faskally, all either gentle or short climbs, Ice could still be an issue on northern slopes though, I'll try and find some webcams in the area..

I like the idea of the Pitlochry ride. A nice place to start and finish as well in terms of facilities.

Mayhaps TK you should make the executive descision before too many choices confuse the issue. Daves choice is dam near Dunkeld so it'd be OK for all that were coming anyway ;)

Also figured out why he likes it, 'Soldiers leap', apparently the soldier in question was from the clan MacBean, Daves lot :roll:

velomaniac":19mw4x1i said:
Also figured out why he likes it, 'Soldiers leap', apparently the soldier in question was from the clan MacBean, Daves lot :roll:

Ho yea, famous for their ability to run away from things, thats my ancestors!

I can happily lead if needed, only done it once this summer but was a chilled day out- its right by the river and very sheltered so I cant imagine there'll be much ice if any!

If its a go-er I'll work out directions to the carpark which is right by the bridge over Loch Faskally on the Pitlochry side...

Latest posts

Back