Retrobike National Event Series: Rd 2 Thetford Aftermath

get your pics up folks, i was thinking of the fun you lot would be having as i dug up a main road with my JCB today :x

Had an awesome day

Yep it was me who got lost, was nice chatting with you guys though when i made it back to the car park, awesome ride though some realy nice bikes today as well. :D :D

looking forward to more!!! :D

Adam

thanks to everyone that made the effort to get there. i've mailed our collective thamks to the staff at the visitors centre for their hard work & effort at lunch time.
great to see old faces & some new, mainly northern, faces. top banter as ever. looking forward to cannock, after i stop aching!

everyone seemed to have a good time, & that was, after all what it was about.
trust everyone got home safe......

Thanks, good day, long day, left ast 6am, got back just now, 11pm. although we did have some van perils.

will post pics & helmet cam footage, if good, later in the week

lou74":d29wbdrr said:
i've mailed our collective thamks to the staff at the visitors centre for their hard work & effort at lunch time.
Whilst paying I thanked the lady who had the list & apologised for any trouble we may have caused with the sheer number of guests they had to cater for. Great food & service to your table, highly recommended trail centre cafe & staff.

What an epic day. Absolutely shattered today. I left the house just after 4am and made it home just a few moments before midnight.

Great so meet some of the sothern brethen for the first time. Thanks to everyone who came along- its you guys that make these events special, and no amount of aching bones, hours behind the wheel, broken bikes and vans could spoil a great day out.
Extra huge 'fanks to Mark, Mark, Lewis and Reki for putting on a great event- no mean feat considering the numbers! (btw i counted 46 riders at the briefing).
Big thanks to the cafe ladies who kept us topped up with very nice butties and tea.

Finally a big 'fook off yer bastards' to the RAC, HSBC and Mercedes Benz for our delayed journey home. Thanks for leaving us stranded on a cold and dark A1 for 90 minutes.

Anyone want to buy a van? Needs slight attention.

Cheers
Si

Top day out chaps. Credit to everyone involved with organizing & running this event, Lou74 (especially - top work), Reki, Mark 29er and Mark S.

Highlights include

-The turnout. 40+, mostly on old school. Quality. Some had really gone the distance (quite literally) to get there also.
-Lots of new and old faces.
-The riding. Thetford may lack elevation but the trails are top fun. Credit to timber and those who've built many of them.
-Organisation. Anglia have set the bar high for this year.
-Mark S and his stickers. Slightly dissapointed I didn't get a sticker for Warwickshire 1993 BoTR (think I was unchallenged on that one).
-The actual BoTR. DSPs 200GS bad boy sets standard.
-JB666s lunchtime sandwich consumption. 4!

More to come I'm sure when I think of it. Look forward to seeing all the pics too.

Hope everyone managed to get a bottle from our series sponser Bikefood

Have to go and unpack the car soon.

Just wanted to add my thanks to all the ride organisers, the staff at the cafe and to everyone who came along and made it such a great day.

Thetford is somewhere I've never ridden before and is very different from what I'm used to in the Peaks. The twisty singletrack was great fun though, and I had a brilliant laugh with all those I got to speak to.

Despite the 5 am departure and the 5 hours each way drive, it was well worth the trip just for the commemorative sticker.
Factoring in the people, the banter, the bacon and the 'bike of the ride' award made it just brilliant.

Here's a summary of what I remember:

• ~ 2 hours sleep plus 5 hour drive = deathly pallor.
    ~ Not trusting the stupid Sat-Nav.
    ~ Little Chef porridge rip off and egg breakfast inquisition.
    ~ The endless A14.
    ~ Finally arriving to a car park full of dodgy lycra.
    ~ Sinnett's rousing speech and sticker fetish and John with his massive box.
    ~ Incredible selection of bikes.
    ~ Nice clean twisty singletrack.
    ~ The Scooby Doo, deja vu scenery.
    ~ "Have we been here before?"
    ~ Pumping the Saracen through the whoops.
    ~ The pile up, bike damage and my nail file.
    ~ Woody loses his crank bolt.
    ~ The bacon bap lunch break and a bottle of stinky Oasis.
    ~ Second attempt at a big poo. Still nothing.
    ~ More nice clean twisty singletrack.
    ~ Jonnyboy sleeps with camera in the woods.
    ~ Lou74; impervious to the cold.
    ~ elPedro lets the NWA side down with his USEless seatpost.
    ~ HarryCrumb's scary moment right in front of me.
    ~ "Are we all here? ... I reckon that's everyone... Oh look here's some more..."
    ~ "Just tell them the wolves did it..."
    ~ The ride finishing as dusk falls. Perfect timing.
    ~ Winning 'Bike of the Ride', with my 200GS equipped £16 eBay Saracen.
    ~ The long goodbyes.
    ~ The even longer journey home.
    ~ Finally managing a poo.

I'll post up some pictures later. (Poo not included)

Back