Dyna-Tech build - advice and opinins needed.

There are a few things on the frame which don't look like Raleigh
Dyna-Techs. The rear triangle near the seat tube is very different,
as is the top-tube cable routing. Different to the bonded steel (1990/91)
and bonded steel/ti (1992/1993) Dyna-Tech's, and also bonded
M-Trax (1994). The lugs also show welds, Raleigh lugs were
either cast aluminium or smoothed brazed/welded.

It'd be an interesting frame if it were a Raleigh though. Best check
would be to look at the frame number under the BB, if it follows
Raleigh patterns and is of the same stamping type, it's more likely
a Raleigh.

I cant really rememver so far back but there was a company about 10-15 years ago called Townsend Cycles who tried to break into the 'real' mountain bike market instead of the £69.99 market, Anyway im sure they made frames that looked just like this one for a while.

If i remember correctly Townsend cycles, British Eagle cycles, Claud Butler, Falcon, And Al Carter, where all part of the same group.

I'm really not sure that this is a Raleigh either. The cable routing is wrong, the lugs are wrong, the chainstay bridge goes all the way across (lots of Dynatechs had 3/4 bridges) and most importantly, its Aluminium, Raleigh never made an aluminium Dynatech and this frame looks far too 'finished' to be a pre-production test frame.

Definately intrigued me though, if the seller is convinced that it is what he says it is, looking forward to a definative answer either way :)

Taking an educated guess it looks like a USA Raleigh Dynatech. A number were built for the US market only. Not sure on the reasons why etc.... A number of years ago I went to look at a USA Raleigh, looking to replace my stolen Dynatech (first proper mountain bike). Speaking to the owner he had bought an Aluminum dynatech frame when he had been in the US. After coming back to the UK he had problems with the frame and it was shipped back to the US. They then sent him a replacement welded aluminum frame as the dynatech frame was no longer available. This was the bike he had for sale and that I bought. That one got stolen as well!!! Long story, but the end is that I do now finally have a replacement steel dynatech that I am going to take very good care of!

One interesting point is that the welded aluminum frame had completely different routing and layout to any of the UK Raleigh frames. Also never saw the equivalent frame in any Raleigh range. Out of interest does anybody know if the frames that Tomac raced were made in the UK or the US?

HTH
Ed

P.S. If you want to sell anytime I'd be very interested!

kase1983":2dfo1jkf said:
you'd know if its a raliegh the minute you pick it up, the qualify will be high and there will be not much frame flex when built,

I beg to differ, Ti Dyna Techs flex like shatter proof rulers! :LOL:

maybe but not as much as a cheapo frame will,

working at the bike shop today and been asking about, have spoke to someone at another shop and they knew a customer who bought one and had it powder coated resulting in the tubes comming apart!

➡️

Still looks good to me Cherrybomb.

I'm still backing the M's and yes of course, with Canti's (ok now I'm after a sale as I have some as new M737 XT's for sale ;) ), but V's on M's are not a good look in my book. Sorry anyone that runs these, just my own pref'.

Tim

Russell,

I believe that there were a number of lugged aluminum Raleigh USA frames. The welded one I had was a replacement for a lugged aluminum that had debonded. The previous owner had been through a long winded replacement before I bought it. By the time the replacement frame had arrived he had replaced the bike! :LOL: Maybe worth sending an e-mail to Raleigh USA and see if they can help.

Ed

Back