Macretro - Baltic Bawbags Pitlochry Classic - 30th Jan 2011

I'll go with the flow - will blairadam be ridable? Mud being the issue I imagine, there is the baxters restaurant just down from the entrance. I'd like the lomonds having never done them, shall I put up a poll?

Pentlands
Lomonds
Blairadam
GT/Inners
Something completely different instead

yeah esp if folks are coming from far afield (NE crew) the pub/cran afters is a big part of the day.

poll would be good.

that baxters place is like fawlty towers TK
vowed never to go there again
kinross or so, yup
i'll see what i can dig up on the food front
dont fancy kelty much

balgeddiee toll

if you come to glenrothes we can start and finish at the fettykill fox
a decent pub grub place

are we happy in general with the poll choices or have I missed anything?

Pentlands
Lomonds
Blairadam
GT/Inners
Something completely different instead (make suggestion below)

Weather forecast for Dunkeld area next week - temp rises to max around 6/7 degrees during day, with overnight temps barely above zero :cool:

Might thaw a bit / might not thaw much ;)

If the ice is that thick at the moment - looks like much will remain next weekend.

Are there no lower level (as in altitude) routes in Dunkeld area which might be clear?

Will need to check with a friend as he just told me there's a dh / enduro type race on the 30th at Inners....

Don't know how it'll effect the xc loop apart from maybe the last 10 yards of Caddon Bank

Can go to the traquair arms for some afters too....

Ah Baxter's, the establishment previously known as Kathallan having morphed from The Butterchurn.
As The Butterchurn it was OK, but each new owner has tried to go more upmarket with the stuff they sell (food and posh crap) getting more and more expensive, a place for the Sunday drivers to go for afternoon tea having exhausted themselves buying expensive crap in the shop/deli.

It's several years since I've been to Pentlands, I was much younger then. :cry:
The Lomonds I've mostly been to John Knox's Pulpit or accessed the lower slopes from The Pillars of Hercules at Falkland, good food there (P of H's) but no beer I don't think.
Was last in Blairadam at the end of last summer after heavy rain, it were a bit muddy, slippy, to say the least. Won't be any better now.
Never been to GT/Inners, just never fancied it.

The option of starting from the Fettykill Fox and doing a route around Glenrothes sounds good, done some of the urban route with Mike and Rob in November. Found it interesting that there is so much off-road in Glenrothes itself. I couldn't keep up on the uphills with those 2 youngsters. :oops:

As I live half-roads between Kinross and Kelty, I'd stay clear of Kelty with a dozen and a half bikes hanging off the back of several cars. No offence intended tae any folk fae Kelty. Just asked my wife if she could think about place with drink/food/drink/drink in Kinross that dirty bikers could go to, nadda. There is the place down at loch where ferry goes from but don't know what it's like. There's the Green Hotel but I've not been in for years as I usually just drink in our rugby club.

Anybody been to Pitmedden recently?
http://www.mtb-routes-scotland.co.uk/new_page_6.htm
Don't know what it's like now but was mostly forest roads when I was there (in summer) years ago.

I'd be OK with going to, in order, urban Glenrothes, lower Lomonds, Blairadam.

Did Mikees Glenrothes trails a while ago, enjoyed it very much, would be happy to do that on Sunday, would that be enough for those traveling up from down south though :?

Having read the debate it would seem to me that the 'Fettykill Fox' loop in Glenrothes led by Mikee would tick the most boxes.

Varied trails in a countryside/urban setting that are both SS and Retro friendly with easy road access and plenty of scran options.

Plus I have now ridden fife twice under Mikees lead and he takes you down some great trails, the mans a star ;) Plus you can talk toot about his bike collection alone for hours on end :LOL:

Back