DMR Trailstar Rigid Forks????????????

Chris D

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi and thanks in anticipation.

A couple of months ago I purchased a DMR Trailstar from here. It is fitted with Marzocchi Z1 from '99 I believed. (They are orange) And I think these are 100mm travel.

My plan all along was too make the bike just for road use therefore the last thing I need is too change the forks to rigids. Originally I had planned on using some Project Two forks but the shop tells me these are only 395mls a-c. I realise you can buy DMR forks but these come without v-bosses that when totaled into the price takes them over £100.

Getting too my question, what length do I need a-c. I was figuring perhaps 440mm and I have seen forks at this length that would be suitable. The current Z1 are 465mm before any compression.

Any help and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

There are the earlier DMR Trailblade fork which come either v-brake/disc compatible or disc only, and also the Sidekick fork which i think were available in the same format but without straight legs. Both are fairly burly with their gussets!

I use Trailblades on mine which have a suspension corrected length of 440mm and are perfect for it. They're great forks but certainly aren't the lightest.

The newer and slightly leaner Trailblade 2 forks are disc only so guess they are the ones you mentioned.

Ebay throws them up fairly regularly so is worth checking out :)

I'm gonna rewarm this dish up!

I've got an MK3 Trailstar coming soon (100-120mm travel they say). Not sure what its gonna be yet, possibly some Fixie bashin' urban toy/commute, part time trail blazer.

I have DMR trailblade20's (that I was pondering selling as they were a tad short on my Last Rufus) they are 435 a-c would these be a perfect fit with the geo on the latest Trailstar?

Other options are White Bros DT 1.2 (4.5lbs) 490/500 a-c, or chunky DirtJumper1's 470 a-c

Eventually I purchased the trailstar forks as recommended. And they are good. The bike is just used for commuting/town at present.

Interesting and good to know. I measured Geometry on my other frame (Last - with 80mm forks it shoudl be 69/74 degrees) by putting it along side a normal 71/73 degree Retro XC frame and comparing, It was steeper (72/75 degs), I'll try that with the DMR, once its been introduced to the boss! :D

another good option for long rigids is the charge nozzle forks.
high quality sanko butted tubing, lighter than the DMRs, and have dual 24"/26" V-brake mounts.
oh and theyre 440mm A-C.

Latest posts

Back