Effect on fitting a longer rear shock.

Davey

Old School Hero
I'm building a FS frame and I'd like to lift it up a bit, it currently has a standard 165mm rear shock, if I fit a 185 or 200 will I completely muller the ride ? I am assuming the answer is yes as it will screw up the geometery :)

Yes it will, but while it will be an acceptable ride, as soon as you hit the front brake, especially on a downhill section the front end will dive, and throw the geometry right out!! Check out my gallery pictures of the silver FSR, eventually i got fed up with it and re-drilled the shock mount hole.

Long seat post time again then :D lol, I suppose even if i do lift the rear the BB is still going to be the same distance away :D

We have had a few customers fit longer shocks to bikes, the big problem is always that on most bikes it lifts the BB on the bike and makes it unstable ie higher centre of gravity than before - a big no-no on a gravity bike!

Given me something to think about :) .. Just trying to find a decent priced shock, I want one with a lockout but I'm dubious about going for air shocks as im worried aobut seals and servicing.

Davey":2ggjcf2a said:
Given me something to think about :) .. Just trying to find a decent priced shock, I want one with a lockout but I'm dubious about going for air shocks as im worried aobut seals and servicing.

Fox air shocks are some of the simplest and easiest pieces on a bike to work on, as well as being ultra reliabale.

Even my girl can rebuild a fox air shock, after viewing their online videos telling you how to.

Davey":3zbf1a89 said:

I've found Cane Creek air shocks to be brilliant. They're a really simple design, using air-damping, so it is easy to strip and rebuild. They're also lighter than most other shocks.

I've had an AD-5 for years and couldn't be happier with it.

Back