MTB for children

I did this for Junior, wasn't actually that expensive all in, but he seems to be enjoying it.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125127

Not exactly a perfect bike but the brakes, gears are all workable for him and a lot lighter than the previous 24" wheel job. I suspect it will do him for a few years - he is 10 but he's growing like hell at the moment!

Look what I just bought! A proper retro MTB for kids!

It's a 1993 or 1994 KHS Montana Super. It has 20" wheels! Will be here on wednesday! Hopes he likes it! :LOL: :LOL:

Will get some better pics then and start a new thread!

GroteFoto-JDXKSYQL.jpg

Had to post this here, lovely thing...

I would love to buy this for my 12 year old son, absolutely stunning, oddly he could probably afford it but I can't :)

From the site.....
#2 The titanium 24″ you’ve already heard too much about – $2300

You can shut me up about this bike once and for all by buying it.

This bike, built for the 2010 NAHBS show, was absolutely mint when it was stolen. I loved it so much, I built another one almost exactly like it.

Then I got the original one back. I can’t justify having two of them, so this one’s for sale.

Despite being abducted and abused, even Grover Beach tweakers can’t defeat this machine. The only damage done is superficial, the very nice paint job has been scratched, mostly in the area where a kickstand (!) was installed. I have detailed photos of the damaged areas if you need to see them. Remember this is a titanium frame, the paint is just there to look cool and attract thieves. You can strip it to the bare metal and just have a normal ti finish.

The frame measures 13.75″ C-C on the seat tube, 23.25 effective top tube. I don’t know the standover, but if you are over 8 years old you’ll probably have plenty. The bike is not outfitted exactly as in the photo, it has a Thomson seat post and White Industries crank, otherwise what you see is what you get.

24″ wheels, titanium frame. White Industries hubs and freewheel, Igleheart fork, Paul brakes and levers, Thomson stem, Cane Creek 100 headset, Phil Wood bottom bracket, 3″ rise Gusset bars. This bike does very well as either a technical MTB, or a street cruiser with skinnier tires.

$2300

2010-show-bmx2.jpg

2010-show-bmx4.jpg

2010%20show%20bmx1~1.jpg

over the last 4/5 years I have actually gone the retroroute for my boys ;)

starting with Sunn tox with first 37 then 40 cm frames - cant find pics of these :cry:
moved on to sunn 5000 or other sunns still in 40 cm frames ( mostly tange DB)
my wife is also on a sunn 5000 in 40cm size

as they grow up n the latest more specific build ( parkpre 825) in 17!
they are now 13 1/2 and 15 years old

the one with the middleburn crankset got nicked in front of the church :cry:

Tib5000001.jpg

vertiktrial004.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

P1010719.jpg

Children will of course drive you mad: Following the advice from this site, for Christmas I bought my 6 year old daughter an aluminium Specialized Hotrock 20 in pink of course which she said was nice but has so far refused to ride it making a variety of excuses. I recently saw a Black and yellow Hotrock in a slightly different frame shape advertised secondhand locally and took her to see it and she fell in love with it immediately and hasn't stopped riding it!

When you put the 2 frames along side each other the saddle and handlebar positions are identical although the Aluminium one has a longer wheelbase!

Even though the B/Y is a lot heavier-it has a steel frame she won't ride the other one. I am either going to have to sell it or strip the frame!

Back