'Best' British Road/Track Cyclist

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Tricky but fun to compare across the years but here's some that would surely have to be in the running:

MEN
Tom Simpson
For many, Tom Simpson is known for his tragic demise on Mont Ventoux. But that surely overlooks a stellar palmares (particularly in the continental pro dominated 60s) that includes wins in the Tour of Flanders, Milan-San Remo, Giro di Lombardia and two stages of the Vuelta. Plus 1965 World Road Race Champion. Legend.

Robert Millar
A spiky, incredibly talented, singular minded and eccentric individual. At the forefront of English speakers arriving at the Tour and not just making up the numbers. CV includes the winning three stages at the Tour plus KoM, a stage of the Giro and KoM, a stage of the Vuelta (plus being 'robbed' of overall victory)Tour de France, the Dauphiné Libéré and National Road Race Champion.

Malcolm Elliott
Have to include someone from ANC-Halfords, so why not Ellioott? One Vuelta stage win seems scant return but still sticking it to guys up to 30 years younger while on the cusp of 50? I guess he enjoys racing.

Chris Boardman
For all his TdF exploits and numerous other wins, two rides stand out - 1992 Bacelona Olympics and 2000 Athlete's Hour. Add that to his epic tussle with Obree for the Hour Record in the mid 90s and it's inspiring.

Graeme Obree
If Millar is eccentric, what to make of Obree? Who else would attempt to break an incredibly tough Hour Record, fail and, in such a pit of despair, simply go again the next day and succeed? If you read it in a Boy's Own comic you'd think it too preposterous for words, let alone using a self designed bike. Add in the Superman position and it was like one of the classic British shed inventors taking on and beating the world. The most romantic career of the lot I reckon.

Sir Chris Hoy
Awesome, simply awesome.

Bradley Wiggins
Incredible versatility on road and track at the highest level - to reinvent himself from World class pursuiter to top road racer (even the 'disaster' of the 2010 TdF had him finishing in the early 20s, not the aim but not too shabby at all) - in a comparison with running, it would be like Coe stepping up from 800m and being competitive in the marathon. In a year. Stupid haircuts though.

Mark Cavendish
Already the 'winningest' British pro. Confident, cocky, often arrogant. But who isn't lifted by a TdF finish when he comes out of the slipstream of another rider, sometimes not even from his own team, and leaves everyone standing? 24 Grand Tour stage wins with his 15 in the TdF being more than Indurain, Zabel, Cipollini. Incredible.

WOMEN

Nicole Cooke
Leave aside her hatful of National and international wins, has to be included for the golden months of 2008 with Olympic and World Championship road race wins.

Victoria Pendleton
8 times World Champion. Olympic gold. Numerous other titles. Combine that level of talent, drive and achievement with beauty and it's difficult not to have a crush on Queen Victoria.

Beryl Burton
But surely Beryl is the greatest of the lot? A staggering list of achievements over an incredibly long period - 7 World titles on road and track (plus 4 Silver and 3 Bronze), 25 :shock: consecutive BBAR, outright national 12 hour record in 1965 that was not bettered by a man until 1967 (indeed in 1965 she passed the man who was setting the mens competition record and gave him a sweet. Which he ate). Surely this record will never be surpassed.

Any that I've foolishly overlooked or reasons why one is clearly head and shoulders above the others?

Riders.

Don't agree with some of your choices - too"fashion conscious". Agree about Reg though - a true comeback hero, hero's like most of these guys listed below.

And in no particular order -

Reg Harris
Vin Denson
Brian Robinson
Sean Yates
Barry Hoban
Graham Webb
Paul Sherwen
John Herety
Tony Doyle (great six day rider and a roadie)
Joey McLaughlin

Many of these guys were pioneers, especially on the continental pro circuit.

Pioneers when the big money wasn't in pro cycling.

Some call it the Golden Age.

As for Chris Hoy, a Knighthood when Robert Millar didn't even get an OBE, I don't think so.

Look at the UK and (ok Irish) riders in the Fagor squad of the 1980s - Roche, Elliott, Yatesy, Earley, Millar.

Talent, enough said.

Roadking.

men, based on balls & achievement - obree
men based on potential - malc elliott - if only he'd not playboyed it in his peak years
women - beryl burton - beat the best of the men, and at a time when it wasnt trendy for women to be "hard" sportstars

Riders...

pigman":299i8gsj said:
men, based on balls & achievement - obree
men based on potential - malc elliott - if only he'd not playboyed it in his peak years
women - beryl burton - beat the best of the men, and at a time when it wasnt trendy for women to be "hard" sportstars

Elliott, I've already said my piece about the Sheffielder, Obree, well we're all entitled to a view.

Beryl Burton...I'd agree also about beryl for the reasons I'd cite riders like Denson, Robinson et al.

This could go on...and many of the riders are unfamiliar to many forum members who are unqualified to comment.

Roadking.

Reg Harris is a particularly good suggestion, should definitely feature on such lists.

roadking":1bshss9k said:
As for Chris Hoy, a Knighthood when Robert Millar didn't even get an OBE, I don't think so.

Can't see how it is Chris Hoy's 'fault' that he has a knighthood and isn't really here or there when discussing his achievements which are considerable.

roadking":1bshss9k said:
This could go on...and many of the riders are unfamiliar to many forum members who are unqualified to comment.

"This could go on"? That was the point of the thread.

"...many forum members who are unqualified to comment"? Seriously?

I do agree however that it's tough to look past Beryl Burton for her multiple achievements and simply staggering longevity. The story behind the 1965 12 hour record is graet.

Riders.

I was commenting on the injustice of Millar not receiving any recognition for hs contribution to pro cycling.

As for my comment about a"lack of qualification"; the qualification is: if you don't know of a rider's achievements you are ergo unable to place them into any kind of context or slightly banal comparison with others either from an earlier or later period.

Vin Denson for example, Tom Simpson's best friend (I know someone who knew them both). Who would you compare him with, how do you rate his achievements?

Yes, it is abitrary.

Roadking.

Back