BoTM Jan 2011 Nominations - Pre 1990 special

Status
Not open for further replies.
bushpig":7tgl9iim said:
IMG_4027.JPG

If I welded like that as a 16 year old apprentice I'd have lost my lunch break and been made to to it again :shock:

Lovely looking bike though!

@mikee - sure, send your address :D

Cunningham welds are certainly an acquired taste.

I was so happy to get this bike. This is kind of my dream Cunningham. I saw it up on eBay when I was in Grad school but my wife made it clear that it was not an appropriate target for student loan spending. As happens, it ended up going to Switzerland. As never happens, I was able to extract it. The bike was really toasted but over the course of a year or so I had refreshed it from head to toe, preserving the original feeling, but replacing all the busted and worn out parts. I get giddy when I ride it.

Oh boy that Cunningham is just fantastic! I have a 105 mech just like that, but it's currently running a 7 speed road cassette (12-21). What's the biggest cog you've got there?

kaytronika":zp1giuqv said:
Does my 89/90 Saracen count?

Suspect it would have been build in '88/89

dscf4002_157.jpg

Just finished my one of these today :D Had decided against entering it and am glad now as yours looks minty! Was it built from parts or are most of the bits original?

brocklanders023":yvgn3oqw said:
Just finished my one of these today :D Had decided against entering it and am glad now as yours looks minty! Was it built from parts or are most of the bits original?

The only bits that are new are the tyres, skewers, saddle and brake blocks. Retrieved from a colleagues shed. Rest of it is as per the day it was bought.

Kirbdug's looks even more original than mine!

I think they're both pretty close to original spec tbh. Can't remember if mine had white or black cables when new :? Off out for the first ride on an '89 Tufftrax for 18 or so years today. :cool:

bushpig":2h4d9i3s said:
My 1988 Cunningham Racer.

This is from Cunningham's second to last run of bike and has nice details like the machined dropouts and CNC'ed cable stops. The bike has the full Cunningham suite of parts and modifications. Interesting details are the non-branded brake bridges (normally these would have the WTB logo engraved), the hand profiled Suntour freewheel, Cunningham brake pad mods to the WTB rollercams, Cunningham (rather than Potts) Type II fork, taper ground rollercam springs, Togglecams and Cunningham taper stem. A detail you don't always see so well is the machined head tube.

IMG_4025.JPG

IMG_4027.JPG

simply stunning :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back