S/H Steel frame to take modern 10speed

oldgit

Retro Guru
I was thinking of investing in a new off the peg frame for winter and general high mileage riding.
Then I thought about an older frame in for example 531, then getting it resprayed before hanging new 105 on it.
Any suggestions, and I'm right in thinking the frame would have to be 130 OLN.
Looking for close clearance.

I like your thinking. I was eyeing up someone's brand new Specialized Allez on another forum. Weighing in at 9.2kg I thought, hmmmmmm, nice old 531 frame with all that running gear and it would probably be a bit lighter!

Hardcore innit.

No perhaps race blades, but I've always ridden without since the seventies apart from owning the occasional commute bike.

It's a great idea, but a couple of thoughts.

Will your bike be if its arms are 10mm longer? Better either to use proper, full length mudguards, or if you won't make sure you use a sealed headset; older headsets were not meant to be run without mudguards. Saves maintenance/cleaning too.

Also, you will need to either (a) squeeze the rear triangle out when you put the back wheel in, or (b) cold set it so it is permanently 130mm wide. A framebuilder would do it for a tenner.

Which frame builder will cold set the rear triangle for a tenner. Argos for example are £30.

back to the original OP, great idea doubt you'll get many nahs on this forum about using a steel frame. Nowt wrong with race blades or similiar. Never could get on with guards in the old days so went without, justt got some over-trousers :)

Watch out for most 531 being 126mm spaced, I would say that as you are after a race orientated frame, that by the time that 130 became the norm, 653 became more attrative than 531 and alloy or early carbons started to filter through.

You can spring a 126mm to 130, after all its only 2mm on each side. just makes re-fitting a wheel after a puncture a bit harder than it needs to be.

kula":230lgevz said:
Which frame builder will cold set the rear triangle for a tenner. Argos for example are £30.

£30 for that job is madness. With the "names" in custom building, you will pay extra.

Try Edison's in Clowne, Derbyshire.

Wow! Lived in Sheffield all my life, been through Clowne more times than I care to remember, and before that, Clowne was on my dad's favourite bike route out of the city towards Worksop, and never new Edisons existed. They look great...

Just stretch it when you bung the wheels in. Its 4mm overall and I bet an old frame has gone slck anyway.
Plenty of old headsets will not even worry about muck. I would argue that they are often less fussy than modern ones. Just bung in some grease occasionally.

I have 2 older Bob Jackons, see link below

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ob+jackson

The blue one runs a mix of 8 speed tiagra, with 105 Sti shifters, while the yellow one runs, Ultegra 10 speed. I just stripped a full carbon Merida to build the yellow bike. I just prefer the look and feel of steel. The Blue Bob is 531, and is the nicest bike i have ridden, so comfy.

good luck.

Ivan

Back