Best Touring Tyres

OK so the Paselas are coming, the problem now is preparing to get them onto the Mavic Module 3 CD. I think the problem here is the shallow wells.

I've seen some tools on the net and was wondering if anyone has any experience of them.

Simson Tyre Mate (look identical to Kool-Stop Bead Jack in the States) @ £11.24. Look great but too big for touring?

Easyhand Tool from Australia. Only good for tyres up to 23mm?

VAR Tyre Lever, about £10 inc postage. Looks very clever, but a little light-weight?

I will try the talc and thumbs first, but want to be prepared in case....

Tyres arrived and are now on the bike. It was a struggle, and I tried the VAR levers, but they flexed so much I gave up fearing to break them.

The answer was in a tip I was given.
1) use talc generously (I came out smelling like a baby)
2) get tyre on as far as it will go using thumbs, starting at valve
3) rest wheel vertically on ground with valve at top and push down sides
4) turn wheel other way up, with yet-to-be-mounted section at top and facing away from you
5) grip tyre and rim together in both hands and simultaneously push top of wheel away from you and twist your wrists down so your knuckles rise. The rotational force should pull the bead over the rim with a satisfying pop.

I hope the tyres get easier to mount and dismount as I don't carry talc with me regularly. Do you think it worthwhile to take the tyres off and on a few times before a tour?

If they are wire bead then I wouldn't think they would get much easier to be fair. You could always waggle the tyre side to side a little in sections as you run it through your hands. Not sure if it'll work but cant hurt trying.

If feasible how about a dab of grease on the rim just before you get the last bit on.(obviously wiping off afterwards) something like that would be easy enough to carry in a very small tube/pot when touring. Actually you can buy a relatively small container of talc and it isn't a bad thing to have when on tour for those areas that get shall we say a little sweaty when doing longer rides :LOL:

Dragging up an old thread a bit. I've just struggled for 20mins dragging some Small block John Tomacs onto those Mavic Module 3 CD rims. My goodness they are tight!

Could do with some other easyfit tyre recommendations

Back