Polishing aluminium?

ramstein-dh

Retro Guru
Hello

Im looking at mirror polishing my boxxers , the crowns are aluminium and the lowers are magnesium i think.
Just wondering what grit wet n dry i start with and what grit i finish with.
They have all been stripped and are bare metal.
Also have some autosol polish.

cheers

Jason

Depends how rough they are after stripping. You might be able to get away with some 1200 grade and then go straight to wire wool and polish.

EarlofBarnet":2mw28lhd said:
Depends how rough they are after stripping. You might be able to get away with some 1200 grade and then go straight to wire wool and polish.

Splendid , fine wire wool?
Will the polish get the scratches out that the wool will leave , also how about using p1500-p2000 wet n dry?

if they are scratched start low and work your way up. Only problem is after you polish them - they will tarnish prety quickly. My bloomin cranks certainly do :evil:

I'd maybe try some 1200 grade wet and dry and see how that gets things. Then go to 1500. Some 0000 grade steel wool is really fine so shouldn't leave hardly and scratches. Polish with t-cut and then some proper metal polish. Job done :)

Lots of factors influence that :-( the environment the bike is used and stored in, how long cak is left on, the polish used (some leave a barrier) and IMHO the most influential, the grade of metal.

WD :D

As Wd says. Best option i have come across to keep my cranks from tarnishing is by alochroming then painting. Thinking of trying Nickel Plating but the nickel is very brittle, don't know if the cranks flex to much for that.

Back