Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SL-M732 XT Thumb shifter.
M-900 XTR all of it :D
FC-M737 XT and FC-M563 LX chainsets.
BR-M950 XTR V-brakes.
And bizarrely, Altus A10 group.

All cool, and out weigh the uncool.

Understated cool in my opinion. Nothing flashy just pure engineering which works.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets a knowing nod from other riders in the know when they spot a set of XT thumbies on your bars.

There are some rare instances of good looking kit (prerequisite for cool IMO) but far too few. Verdict :Uncool. Simply doing what your meant to do doesn't count.

andrewl":1jv4wpdx said:
Understated cool in my opinion. Nothing flashy just pure engineering which works.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets a knowing nod from other riders in the know when they spot a set of XT thumbies on your bars.

Totally agree.
(and isn't there a Retrobike t-shirt with an XT thumbie on.... ;) )

Shimano also made Airlines, which surely must go in Ice Cool, due to their rarity, sexiness and pure idiocy... (now on my second set :LOL: )

Tough one this as the vast majority of their gear are simply tools for a job but I could easily go cool on the strength of DX, M732/5 XT, M900 XTR, thumbies and my modern XTR shifters. :?

kaiser":a385rlo4 said:
There are some rare instances of good looking kit (prerequisite for cool IMO) but far too few. Verdict :Uncool. Simply doing what your meant to do doesn't count.

Well said that man :cool:

Just see Shimano as the functional run o the mill part you see on virtually every bike out there and so gets overlooked and never thought about.
Shall never get my head round the 'M' numbers and what not either... all too geeky for me.

Some are cool, some are not! But mostly I see 'em as functional parts and not much else. I always liked Suntour better, but I guess Shimano's high marketing capacity outmaneuvered most of those other japanese companies, and that doesn't exactly make them cool.

al":g5tq461y said:
Oh dear! It's finally reared It's ugly, bland, corporate, price fixing, market distorting, black mailing (Giant) but oh so functional head!

That's without me having a go at their fishing S*** :(

Shi*mano has never and will never be cool.

I will agree they did used to make a complete groupset back in the day. Then Dia-Compe came along with A-head system. Poor old Shimano!! :LOL: Not made a complete groupset for many years.

al. :D

BITD when i was a lad, and the world was very young, Shimano was the thing to have. Campag was V expensive, not much Suntour or Huret about. If you wanted light, and not Raleigh/ OEM it was Shimano that you went for. It was cool then.....

Dave

Back