2001 Kona Cinder Cone - My 2011 XC Build

Didn't put any xc tyres on for the pic, just wanted to see how the bike would sit as it is:

08012011453.jpg

08012011454.jpg

Slight change of plan with the forks...

007_944.jpg

SID's will be making their way to another RB member tomorrow. Stripped the bike back down now and intent to have the frame painted before building it back up again. At least then it's right first time. Will do some colour searching tomorrow, but thinking of sticking with Black and maybe some newer style Kona decals (but subtley placed).

The SID's are lovely forks, incredibly light. With me running discs though I think the Fox's will look tidier without the canti mounts. Plus the Fox's will be a bit stiffer.

Wondering around Focus yesterday saw some Nitromors on sale for £2. So the last 24hrs have involved that and the frame! It's nearly 100% stripped now, just working my way through various grades of wet & dry to get it nice and shiny. It'll be lighter with no paint...

However, I've been thinking about what to do with regard decals. My current plan is to ghost spray paint some mat black Kona decals on to the frame. Think it's got the potential to look really good, plus its something a bit different. They'll be subtle and I can always rub them off if I don't like them.

Maybe something like this on the downtube, but at the bottom near to the b/b:

brand.gif

Then something else on the headtube.

Well, after slowly sanding and cleaning up little bit of paint that the Nitromors left I decided to try and polish some of the main areas. Bit of 1200 grade wet & dry to smooth off the tube and then some metal polish on a rag. Bling! It's looking super clean. Just need to finish off some of the areas on the rear triangle and then should be able to finish polishing the whole thing. Seems a shame to try and brush the tubes now, so will leave it shiny for the time being. I'm really happy with the job. Will post up some pictures later today :)

Gave the frame a first once over with some polish last night and it looks great. Not 100% sure if the parts I have will complement it or not, but we'll see when it's put together. Plan is to take Friday afternoon off work and put it together :)

Here she is:

21012011459.jpg

21012011460.jpg

It's come out quite well and I'm happy with it. Got a few bits I need to sort though:

* Shorten steerer tube down and have all spacers in Black
* Get a set of 2.1" cross-country tyres

I've ordered a set of Richey grips too, so just waiting for them to land:

Richeygrips.jpg

I've had a set of 2" MK's before and didn't get on with them. Think I might settle on some 2.2's as a halfway house. Although quite tempted to get some Race King's.

Latest posts

Back