Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

There's a NOS Dyna-Tech MT3 frame on fleabay at the moment, overpriced I reckon, but thought I'd flag it up nonetheless! :LOL:

I suppose I should stick my Dynatech experience here too.
I worked at Halfords in White City in Manchester between 90 and 93 and I discovered Mountain Biking and cycling in general there, making my way up to Cycle dept supervisor. I got well into it and started promoting things like test rides and so on, so we could sell more serious bikes as well as the usual Lizards and Mustangs (same bike, different colour)
Anyway after my first bike a Spesh Hard Rock I bought in clearance that was way too big for me, I ordered a Dynatech Sentinel, after seeing one in Foster's in Chorlton (just up the road from me now, oddly)
It came with a little toolkit and a docket with the name of the builder on it. How cool is that? What an awesome bike it was too - rigid and springy in all the right places and directions. You could feel it bouncing around beneath you (in a good way) I loved it dearly and was in the process of upgrading it : X Lite bar ends, Zoom seatpost ( I just liked the way it looked ) and a Cannondale Seat Cleat bag, when it got nicked from St Annes Square.
A couple of weeks later I was walking to work and saw a bloke riding past me on it. I gave chase but to no avail :-(

I did sell an Ogre XT sight unseen on the strength of letting someone have a go on my bike it a few months after I bought it. That was a lovely piece of kit too, and I wouldn't let anyone else set it up :LOL: :LOL: The customer loved it, as well he should.

As an aside, Sale Cycles just up the road from the aforementioned Fosters was then owned by Halfords and was used as a clearance outlet (that's where my Hard Rock came from) and was clearing out a bunch of Voyagers really cheaply, but they were all 19inch frames and I really needed a 17.

I have been looking for a replacement Sentinel for some time now and MAY be on to something - I'll let you know how it goes :)

My Diablo AL

Wow, this takes me back! It's good to see all this Dyna-Tech love, and brochures featuring Caroline Alexander with Thompson-Twins hair! At time of writing my Diablo AL (pictured) is for sale on eBay (item 290524849784).

I remember lusting after a dyna-tech with drop bars when getting my first bike that I bought myself in 1990; way out of my price range though, so I got a Raleigh Pioneer Spirit. That was replaced a few years later by a Diamond Back Ascent, which was stolen by an evil neighbour in 1996. An extensive round of MTB magazine buying resulted in me buying a last-year's model (and what I worried was a too-small frame) Diablo AL, with the magic word TITANIUM! It came from the, then unknown to me, Evans Cycles in Croydon, for 350 quid.
I fitted it with a rack and commuted back and forth through Plymouth (with occasional after-work and weekend off-road rides up the Plym Valley), and then in Bristol throughout the noughties.

Eventually I was using it entirely on-road, and the constant round of cable-cleaning and brake adjusting made me wish many times for something new. Another round of bike research, this time on the new "Web", led me to a second hand Flight 04, for 320 quid... amazing how prices change.

Attachments

• dynatech-diablo-bike2.jpg
    dynatech-diablo-bike2.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 3,869
Stuflyer
Fingers crossed your sentinel shows up. There's a few of us knocking around the area - including 5 Dynas off the top of my head, probably more - keep an eye on the NW Area board to join us for A spin :) Actually headed to Delamere in a couple of you're an unemployed bum... :LOL:

Feel I should chuck my "myster bike into the pot too, will post some pics later, it's stickered up as an M-Trax 1000 but neither the top or down tube are magnetic.....

It looks like several of the bikes in here mostly the similar 1000's - I would suspect it had a slightly dodgy past but the frame numebrs are there and the paint looks original....

Pad : Cool bike :)
Pedro : Thanks mate! I will keep an eye on the board. I can't make today but always fancied a trip to Delamere - for some reason I've never been.
Ever done the Macclesfield Forest loop? 5 more dynatech owners? wow. Are we all starting to come our of the wodwork? :D :D

Boxxer: can';t wait to see it :)

stuflyer":3q9xe2kl said:
5 more dynatech owners? wow. Are we all starting to come our of the wodwork? :D :D

It's like a secret little club, they never get mentioned, maybe kept hidden in the basement, but we've all got one...

Except mine which lives just in front of the telly! :LOL:

DryStonePaul & Mr.Lee (amongst others) are Macc aficionados and I'm slowly learning bits of the forest, catch you up there some time :cool:

Original lust-bike

Looking through the old pictures in this thread, it was a Diablo DX (fitted with drop handlebars) that I was lusting after in 1991, back when I bought my Raleigh Pioneer spirit; bike shop in Embankment Road in Plymouth - I've forgotten the name. Years later I got my Diablo, though an AL - I don't know what the letters were all about.
I guess I've gone full-circle, back on a 700c wheel bike again now... urkh, 20 years later!
What is it about DTs? I'm amazed how much interest there is in my eBay auction.
- P

I've got a 97/98 (H reg) Torus. I'm wondering if these were originally badged as Raleigh, Dyna-Tech or M-Trax?

Does anyone know the definate seat post size?

Also it has bolt fitting about 2 inches above the bottom bracket, does anyone know what these were for?

rgR35kd7_original.jpg

Back