The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rody,

now able to attach pictures using the 'Add an Attachment' button below. Now let's see those pictures :D

new guy....

Hi there,
Just saying hello.... I can't explain whats happened to me.... all of a sudden I have the urge to own a retro mountain bike. Klein, Fat Chance Bonty etc. I found this site by total accident!
I have a pretty standard history so far in terms of bike ownership. First proper bike was a '93 GT Talera, then a '96 Kona Kilauea (which I should never have sold), then a Cannondale Super V 1000 (which looking back I'm glad I did sell), the next one was a Santa Cruz Chameleon, then a 2003 Klein Palomino (now sold) and my most recent bike is a 2003 Litespeed Lookout MTN. A futre classic perhaps??
I'm on the lookout for a Klein Adroit or Attitude next and it has to be pre Trek.....

Cheers
Ade634

Howdee!!

HI Guys,

Just found this site while looking for pics of a Fat Buckshaver - more than tempted by Kase1983....

I have been riding for a couple of years now, quick bikography as follows:

1st- Started in 1988 on a Pink/Purple Raleigh Mustang, when the Farmer Johns rubbed the stays and the forks kept bending thought it was time to move on....

2nd- 1989 (I think) Yellow Speccy Rockhopper with chainstay U-Brakes - COOL

3rd- Marin Pine Mountain. My worst bike. Teflon and Flouro Orange. Didn't last long.

4th- Orange Aluminium O. This is when Ali was rare. Box section chain/seatstays and a 150mm stem/taperlights/USE pin. Great bike.

5th- Rocky Mountain Altitude. The best by far. Beautiful and got pimped. Ti Stix, XTR, Ceramics, Grafton cranks, USE bar/bar ends combo, Mag21, Syncros. This I think was a '93 with std stays, not wishbone. Std colour was green/burgundy, but as sponsored by Rocky, had team red/yellow. (note: if anyone has one for sale ever, let me know). My fave bike I have owned.

Unfortunately at this point became dissalusioned with XC racing (and some Uni/girls etc got in the way) and sold it. Gutted now :(

No riding for a couple of years, and currently riding a Tinbred, Dialled PA and Trek Roadie.

New stuff is nice, cheap and light (really!), but theres nothing like getting the classic bits too :)

To think of the stuff we used to do fully rigids :shock:

Cheers..

gump. try searching for "simply the bike" bikeshop in torquay. a few of their riders had red/ yellow altitudes :)

1 even had a ti bolt rky mtn ;D

Twas Me!

Scant, it was me with the Altitude there!!

I used to live there. Only two red/yellow Altitudes- One mine. My team mate had the ti bolt.

Do know anyone from back then down there?

gump, small world! I went to plymouth uni 92-96. slightly outta touch now, but used to know the then, shread or dead , now just shread boys, steve & richard toze, still ride with nigel muntz time to time. All of the 150north road east posse, (fluff, tinks, dale, craig, jon, me) are still in touch.

If you went to the grundig world cup races in plymouth around that time you might remeber my old bike? 93 FAT chance titanium, mag21s, cook bros stem,M900 xtr,ringle post, tioga disk drive pro etc.

Me

Hi chaps,

First, got to say I love this place :D ,

Well , where do I begin ……….I like 90’s bikes they are built good and last better than anything they make these days, I do have to admit, I don't get out much at all due to work and woman commitments, but the good side is when I work I can buy more retro stuff (bad side being ‘how many bikes can you ride at once? wah wah wah’ :x ) you know what I mean .
My 1st bike was where most people start…. a Raleigh magnum……with mudguards as standard! and then the list goes- Raleigh euro - Raleigh discovery - Gt karakoram elite - Saracen traverse - offroad proflex 550 (with white porcs) - Saracen trekker comp - an old marin muirwoods - KHS Montana comp - trek 8700 pro - another Gt karakoram elite - GT timberline (hack) - marin pine mountain - orange clockwork - another muirwoods - pace Rc300 and a few others I forget, anyway all gone now , mainly stolen :cry: , some sold or Px’d towards the next steed.
I now seem to only want those top end early 90’s bikes that I read about in my old MBUK and MBI mags (got loads of em ;) )and have started collecting and re-building them with original parts , mainly through eBay .
Anyway great show guys , love the readers bike pics, lets hope there are more of us out there. :cool:

Hi guys, first post here. Been reading for a while though.

Started riding properly in '91 (aged 13) with a Trek 820 which I used pocket money to slowly upgrade with XT thumbys, 2.1 Porcs, SS5s and Onza OZ 170s.

I sold it in '93 to buy a Saracen Race Elite - basically a parts bin special based on th '92 Killi Racer frame - a lovely Tange elevated chainstay affair with an array of spurios strengthening tubes. As I was still at school (and too lazy to get a job) progress on this was slow but it did get white Porcs, XT rear mech, Gripshift and Control Tech bar ends.

I still have this bike, it's changed a little - Kevlar 2.1 Porcs, SPDs and back to Rapidfires. I'd love to deck it out how I would have done in '93 if I'd had the cash.

I'v still got a couple of hundred mags from '89 to '95. It's amazing the MBA logo type hasn't changed in 16 years! I'm also hording a load of catalogs although nothing that exotic, just Kona, Trek etc.

New from The Netherlands

Hi there,

since I'm new here, a little introduction.

Erik, 34 years, 4 bikes

Retro:
Giant Super Sierra
Scott Pro Racing SS

non retro:
Santos SCC_02 Beach bike
Rocky mountain Element 70 custom.

Giant009.jpg

scott10.jpg

dusssss©

Hello

Salutations

Similar story methinks! Well into biking from '95 but what with work, mortgage, wife, kids I am more of a 'collector' than a rider.

Found my '96 Lava Dome frame (spend as much time building as riding) in my parents attick with a lot of original parts, and started rebuilding it. Best bike I ever owned, although it is nothing special I would never sell it, too many good memories.

Found this site - great, I'm not alone - and now have:

1988 Explosif (Green and yellow splatter) with white porcs
1990 Explosif (Black with pink & blue splatter)
1992 Explosif Pro with Future Shock forks - massive 1.25" travel!
1995 Hot
1996 Lava Dome
1998 Kula
1998 Hot

All in various state of completion. Unashamed Kona obsessive.

But nothing beats my humble Lava Dome...so many memories. Is it me or were the summers hotter and longer then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back