Alpinestars 1992 cro-mega (Blackstar) by Maverick

maverick

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So here we go again. After pulling 3rd place in the December 2010 BOTM competition, I have now started to get my arse into gear and start with 'Project Blackstar'

If you have read my last build thread you will note that I posted it all at the end, rather than through the build like most other people.

This one has started from a simple idea that E-stay bikes are the best and that when I was a nipper I really really wanted an Alpinestars, but could not afford them. I am not one to follow the idea that a retro build has to be exactly as it came from the shop 20 years on, we would have all added upgrades and altered bits here and there along the way so I just build it to my own spec (that exists in my head) and do the best job i can. I set myself a limit on any bikes £250, which has to be everything, so my bikes are never going to be dripping with M900/Cook Bros/Pauls/Campag, but they will be built to a high standard and used as much as possible.

So this one started with £21. This bought me from Evilbay this.........

Attachments

• 21 pounds from evilbay.jpg
    21 pounds from evilbay.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 3,525
£21 seemed like a bargain, but it was a little to big for my little legs, so I put it in the shed and continued with the 1991 Al-Mega DX. When that was finished I felt ecstatic that I finally had my Alpinestars, but like all good junkies I now needed another fix.

I put out the Retrobike feelers for a Cro-mega frame, and thanks to 'MIKEE' we had a deal and swapped frames, my 1990 non e-stay for this.....................

Attachments

• 1992 cro mega frame original (Large).jpg
    1992 cro mega frame original (Large).jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 3,522
Ok, so had a battered frame (structurally good though) and some Alpinestars pink forks. Not the best combination in anyone’s opinion.
I decided originally that I would use Deore DX, but that soon changed and i went for XT. As I have previously twittered on about I don't go for period correct, so long as it looks good and works, and matches (just about).

I contacted 'Gil_M' who made my last set of stickers for the Al-Mega and we bounced some ideas around and have settled on a set of customized Alpinestars stickers that should be with the bike soon. They follow the craziness of the Alpinestars and have the tiger stripes but in a new way, the frame and forks where taken to my trusted painter and this time i settled on a simple one colour paint job of black, much to his relief.

The frame came back just before Christmas and due to the snow, work, presents and time away it once again sat in the shed until yesterday when I gave it some life...........

Attachments

• 1992 balck cro mega.jpg
    1992 balck cro mega.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 3,518
......mmmmmmm...yummy

Let me be the first to say....looking good ....., cant wait to see what you have done with the decals........., and a radial built front wheel too......tel me more tel me more.......ive pulled up my comfy chair....!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

you always did have an E-Stay fetish......!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

have you sorted that drop out? looks dodgy :( in the pre painted pic anyway.

paint looks good though :D

Good Philosophy the £250 one, My Sorcerer came in under £250 (but it didn't need paint) and my lads Kona will have had a similar budget, but that's being painted too.

The last one was a cracker for £250 so this should be good as well.

Under £250 BOTM, has it been done?

Carl.

Looking like a good strong start and thank christ you didn't butcher such a lovely rare 1990 non-estay LX.... :cool: :cool: :LOL:

that 90 lx is in my shed , will build it this year some time
need forks tho :roll:

Back