Olmo with fluted main tubes

GordonB

Retro Guru
I've just picked up an old Olmo that has very unusual main tubes and i'm looking for some help on identification of the model and the tubing type. It's definitely an Olmo because the guy I bought it from gave me a photo taken when he first got it over 20 years ago and that's what it's badged as. The three main frame tubes have six flutes running down their length apart from the couple of inches near the lugs. The photo shows that the forks were originally chromed and had Coluimbus stickers, and the dropouts are definitely Columbus. It's been repainted in a horrible metallic purple that does nothing for the appearance but was originally white with red fades on the head tube, bottom bracket and seat tube junctions.

Equipment is a mixture and not original, a mishmash of 105, 600, Deore, Sora and Campag, most of it in good condition and a nice Miche aero seat post. Headset is 600 and possibly original.

I'm overseas at the moment (which is where I bought it) and can't post pics but will do so on my return. In the meantime, if anyone can shed light on the provenance of the frame I'd be grateful. To my eye it looks unusual, racey and probably relatively high end - after all, why would you use such innovative tubing on a cheapy!

Gordon

No, on mine the flutes are completely parallel to the long axis, on Cipollini's they are not. Very similar concept though.

Gordon

When I picked the bike up the owner gave me a photo of the bike when it was fairly new, I've shown this and a close up of the seat tube/top tube junction so you can see the flutes in the tubing. Each tube has six flutes. The seat tube has an unfluted area where the front mech attaches. Forks are clearly Columbus, I cannot find any frame number other than 55B on the BB shell, which is probably the size.

Any ideas anyone? Model? Year? What the hell the tubing is?

Gordon

Attachments

• Olmo.jpg
    Olmo.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 2,590
  • Olmo close up 1.jpg
    Olmo close up 1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,590
Looks like it could be Columbus Gilco tubing, similar to what's used on the Colnago Master so it's quality stuff. Olmo used Oria tubing, ML25 had similar indents in it but only four, not six.

I'd say it's circa 1986 to 1988 :)

Old Ned":1js4ldds said:
Sounds like the same 'Cromor' tubing as Cipollini's Benetton...

this is odd...the flutes must have been added afterwards, as 'cromor' was a lower range (rolled & seamed) round tubing. same steel as SL, but not extruded.

possibly the olmo has had tubing mods performed by the builder?

dookie":2zsui9ez said:
Old Ned":2zsui9ez said:
Sounds like the same 'Cromor' tubing as Cipollini's Benetton...

this is odd...the flutes must have been added afterwards, as 'cromor' was a lower range (rolled & seamed) round tubing. same steel as SL, but not extruded.

possibly the olmo has had tubing mods performed by the builder?
early cromor was seamed the later stuff was butted and cold drawn,I doubt those flutes were added afterwards.I think its Gilco as its an italian made frame, a lot of Gilco tubed frames came out of Italy in the mid-late 80s
The fluted Oria mentioned above was much much lighter and similar in many ways to 753

i remember colnagos with ribbed columbus tubing, but the ribs were more distinct than the flutes on yours.

nice lights, i've not seen those every readies in a long while

cheers
g.

Until fairly recently I had a set of those lights in the shed but the plastic had deteriorated so much they were ony fit for the bin. I'll be stripping the frame in a couple of weeks once I've sorted out all the componentry. I'm not intending to restore it to original spec, I want to ride it regularly and more modern shifters are the order of the day. The stuff it came fitted with is actually in pretty good condition so all I've changed is the wheels (I had a nice pair of 7 speeds sitting in the corner) cassette, chain, cables and saddle (I only ever use a Turbomatic or Flite). All the other parts have been cleaned and polished. I might put the original wheels back on once Mick Madgett has changed the freehub, which is knackered. The Sora shifters have now cleaned and lubed and all works very well.

In fact the bike rides very well, reasonably light at 10kg all up, stiff and responsive and fits me just right. Respraying should bring out the beauty and general wierdness of the frame! The only minor problem I have is with decals as no-one does replacements identical to the ones in the photo, so whatever goes on will be a compromise.

Last time I stripped a frame (my Mecacycle) I found the frame material designation stamped on the tubes so I'll be careful to check for these.

Gordon

Back