A bit different....

andy.l

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Not very retro I know but a bit different.I currently do quite a bit of road riding and commuting on my Trek 1200,for those who havnt seen one its a very square horizontal toptubed gate tbh so I wanted to upgrade my frame to something a bit more sloping/attack style.Because im very tall everything I looked at including CX frames were still the same shape as my Trek,it seems that only short asses get the cool looking frames :p so i started looking into MTB framesets.

I did some research into this and it seemed loaded with pitfalls with gearing and compatability problems,still I seen this as a challenge so carried on.

Started off by getting a Giant XTC0 Alliance frame in 20" for a realy good price from the bay of evil.I wanted to run Ultegra SL groupo on it and this is where the first problem arose,the chainstays caught as the spindle length was too short,I came up with a theory...

BBASSEMBLY.jpg

Some measuring was done...

Distance(using a spacer) between frame & crankarm ctc (Driveside)..

co2.jpg

this much clearance to chainstay..

co3.jpg

co4.jpg

And non-drive side...

co5.jpg

co6.jpg

As they sat...

co7.jpg

So I took the cranks into work and cut the spindle in half :shock: made a 14.6mm spacer sleeve,then welded it and pinned for safe measure,an alloy spacer was made and fitted for the drive side to get the correct sitting alongside the chainstays then 2 ordinary bb spacer rings on the non-drive side...

com16.jpg

I also wanted to run dropbars with Sti's,another problem apparently as the throw is different on stis to xc shifters,back one worked fine straightaway,after trying a few front mechs I found that an XT triple works fine with the double compact and brifters and loads of adjustability too :D

Onto brakes,I originally fitted Avid BB7's with road specific calipers for the brifters but another challenge arose,back to the drawing board...

BARSET-UP.jpg

This was my initial design using Avid Elixir hydraulic brakes but they were far too expensive to start hacking to bits,so I had an old Hope mono mini in the shed doing nowt.Usind the same leverage design as the original lever I designed a fulcrum lever which would be cable pulled from card,then cut it out of Teflon...

Photo-0003.jpg

Used Hopes pivot bushes...

Photo-0006.jpg

Cleaned up the lever body ready for paint as it was quite bashed up...

Photo-0004.jpg

Photo-0005.jpg

First fitting...

Photo-0007.jpg

Drilled a hole through the body to accomadate the cable & Painted...

DSC02681.jpg

DSC02692.jpg

Was going to fit 26" wheels but I felt the bike would sit too low at the front for me,worked out that I could fit 29er wheels with CX tyres on with enough clearance so opted for these instead with 29er Carbon rigid forks up front,a friend of mine built the wheels for me as he's bloody good at them..

Thats about it really,long-assed way around of doing things I know but wanted the challenge,few things to be done yet,the RH side reservior diaphram is pants and leaks so new ones ordered and im going to make some Ti versions of the fulcrum levers,the Teflons very nice and light but gets grubby really quickly and eventually will wear.

Some pics,comments plus & neg appreciated.

andy ;)

com17.jpg

com18.jpg

com19.jpg

com20.jpg

com21.jpg

com215.jpg

com22.jpg

com23.jpg

com24.jpg

com25.jpg

com26.jpg

:shock: What a job for the brakes !
But is your fork not too high for your bike ?

Secondly, Iwouldn't weld a BB axle. Strength are bi there.
Shimano don't sale such a long BB ?

impressed with your skill there :cool: bearing in mind you have built it in a way not intended for that frame how does it ride?

Thankyou.

The bars and saddle sit at the same height as my Trek now,if i used 440 length forks the front would be low,the 29er forks are great.Im sure I couldve fitted a internal bb with the correct legth but wanted hollwtech chainset on there,I dont think the weld will fail either but will wait and see :?

It was a lot of fiddling I agree to get the brakes to work but you dont see many set ups like it atm.

Dont really know how it rides in anger yet as the RH brake still leaking,will get a good ride in when the spares arrive,rode it around my patio and it feels brilliant so hope itll be fine elsewhere :)

That is one cool build,very impressed with the brakes and the bottom bracket! :shock:

Top marks, great build

Back