Another newbie bike ID please, pretty please.

Mystical_Tramp

Retro Newbie
Hi,
Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.
Not really into road bikes, been using my mountain bike for my commute for the past couple of years, and BMX's for fun. So i thought i'd eventually sort out getting a road bike to knock a few mins of my journey. Anyway I done some asking around and was given this for the grand toitaol of £0.00. Now please bear with me as i've never had any experiance in road bikes.
The spec is:
It weighs about 10kg, ATAX bars and stem, Campagnolo headset, and shifters, Shimano Dura-ace crank, Specialized saddle, carbon seatpost, Weinmann Type 500 brakes, Mavic MA2 700c rims on Malliard hubs. Serial number WA5000759
So my questions are:
What brand/model is it, is it any good, components etc.
Thanks again Jon. :D

That looks like a Raleigh serial number. I'm no expert but there are plenty on here who can decipher that number.

The mix of components makes it likely that there's been a bit of swapping about in it's life.

If you have some pictures it would help.

P1040944.jpg

P1040945.jpg

P1040946.jpg

P1040947.jpg

P1040948.jpg

Result!
Them's some tasty cranks if nothing else... and I think there's plenty else - possibly looking at something tasty that's been well bastardised over the years? Give it the flick test see if it's butted :) (flick the tubes & they'll 'ping' differently at the ends if it is thicker walled there)

elPedro666":e869arq6 said:
Result!
Them's some tasty cranks if nothing else... and I think there's plenty else - possibly looking at something tasty that's been well bastardised over the years? Give it the flick test see if it's butted :) (flick the tubes & they'll 'ping' differently at the ends if it is thicker walled there)

Oh right that sounds good. I've tried doing a bit of research but have struggled to find good resources for older road bikes. Seems to be plenty of info on old BMX's etc.
Just tried the flick test, there is a definate difference in 'ping' at the ends. More of a flatter sound.

it looks good! - seat clamp area looks like it isnt anything higher than 531 but looking a pretty good basis for a restoration.

That looks really nice. The lugs look Prugnat-ish - did Holdsworth / Claud Butler ever make anything with a sloping fork crown like that?

Goldie":19hmh99f said:
That looks really nice. The lugs look Prugnat-ish - did Holdsworth / Claud Butler ever make anything with a sloping fork crown like that?

Yes, a lot of their frames had the sloping crown - but I'm not sure this is one of theirs. I reckon this is quite a good frame that would respond well to some TLC and period fittings. Like said above, the early Dura-Ace chainset is nice for a start.

Back