rBoTM Jan 2011 - Nominations Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I enter my ex 'ploeg-Post' Panasonic PR-6000. I think it could very well be the best ever steel roadbike in competition use. Panasonic was very committed to build the best and knowledgable people like Jan Legrand put a lot of effort in it. Read a more extensive story overhere on VeloBase.

After experimenting by Legrand and the rest of the team they came up with a frame that uses equal diameter tubes in front triangle (28.6mm). Full Tange Prestige, brazed with silver, own frame parts. Built to the tightest tollerances - as we can expect from Japanese. The frame is very light and responsive.

Full DA7400 group. First year for STI. The catalogue bike set you back 7K in guilders back in the day. Considerably more than say a Master with Record.

I use this bike as regular rider, so it is setup for the purpose. The original Cinelli pantographed stem went for 1cm shorter Dura Ace stem and of course the team never raced with yellow Vredesteins, but they look cool with the paint imo. When I acquired it it got a full overhaull consisting of waxing the paint, rust preventive oils internally, new bearing balls and Motorex - as I always do with a new to me bike.

3302861865_50573e218b_b.jpg

I love the Panasonic one of my favourite bikes from the 1990's. Really in keeping in era with the Dura Ace STi Groupset. Glad it ha s been enetered for bike of the month, remember seeing it when first searching retrobike and thinking wow !!

That Look is mental - it looks genuinely futuristic, like it could turn the energy in a packet of fags into a 50mph ride. Looks great in the snow as well, like it's been sculpted out of the stuff.

Goldie":1zzqoq4s said:
That Look is mental - it looks genuinely futuristic, like it could turn the energy in a packet of fags into a 50mph ride. Looks great in the snow as well, like it's been sculpted out of the stuff.

I have always loved the KG196, but perhaps it is sign of my age that I still consider it today as a futuristic design and not a retrobike, notwithstanding its 15+ years...

Truly iconographic; not quite on the same level as the Cinelli Laser, but pretty darn close...

This is one area that will always be a debate how old does a retro bike needs to be to be retro. Being a teenager in the 90's I consider bikes like the Look from the early to mid 1990's to be retro. The problem is certain bikes such as the Look, Lotus and Calfee were so far ahead of their design when they were made that they do not necessarily look retro to everyone these days when you compare them to their counterparts from the same era.

I think I am getting old now as I cannot stand the new range of mega fat tube sloping designs that are on the market today.

I agree with you...i find the current models really ugly!

I'm pretty happy with my Lemond twins, as I'm sure you are with the one you have ;-)

My 1975 Carlton Corsa.

23" frame, Huret 5-speed all pretty much bog standard except or a few nice little add ons.

P7130486.jpg

Lemond Fan":1pw49ggs said:
This is one area that will always be a debate how old does a retro bike needs to be to be retro. Being a teenager in the 90's I consider bikes like the Look from the early to mid 1990's to be retro. The problem is certain bikes such as the Look, Lotus and Calfee were so far ahead of their design when they were made that they do not necessarily look retro to everyone these days when you compare them to their counterparts from the same era.

I feel same... I´m so young! :)

That is my race bike from late 90´s, best track bike I have ever used.
2000 UCI did´t allow to use smaller front wheel anymore and I had to buy Corima.

+1 for Cinelli laser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back