Herne Hill plans....

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all,

seems Herne Hill velodrome has been going through a period of decline. There are now plans to revitalise the whole site. They can be found here...

http://www.savethevelodrome.com/index.html

Has there ever been a Retrobike visit to Herne Hill?

I used to do some riding there as a schoolboy, around '69-70. Anyone else ride there, now, or in the past?

Dave

I went to the Eddie Merckx meeting in 1969 - he didn't turn up and we had to 'make do' with Ferdi Bracke instead.

It would be a disgrace in this period of track racing popularity and government desire to get people fit if the campaign doesn't work. If I lived in the area I'd go regularly.

I grew up round there and I didn't even know the velodrome existed until about 2 months ago when, randomly, someone at Critical Mass mentioned it. That's 32 years I haven't known about it.

They always pour on about the Lido and there are always funds and events to keep it going, but the velodrome has just as much history in my opinion.

I wonder if a lack of publicity has something to do with it?

That aside, I'm planning to use it a bit this year. I really fancy a bit of fixed gear track action.

I went twice last year on a group private booking. First one for an hour induction course then the second time we did 2 hours first hour another induction for those new in our group and the second hour we had races. Sprints, team pursuits etc. Great fun and I intend to organise more this summer as long as it has not closed, will let you all know when. Or one of you get in touch with BC at Herne Hill and book up some sessions.

I rode it a few times in late 70s and early 80s. I preferred Harlow though. Now whatever happened to the plans for that replacement ?

Back