The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello Retrobikers,
taking this chance to introduce myself, thankyou.
like rest of you i love gliding about on my bikes, had Muddy Fox Courier, Kona's Cinder Cone, Lava Dome, Explosif (currently got Blast, not the greatest frame but couldn't resist mango paint, got it looking spot-on i reckon, and a Koa i'm currently resurrecting, will be a nice glide).

also had rockhopper, bear valley and few others.
think my fav' bit of kit is set of Campag' canti's, haven't seen many others about, they're incredibly well made, lasted years. thumb shifters, rigid forks, smooth hubs and fat tyres usually do it for me.

sure i'm gonna be useful member of 'family',
take care, Konaglider

Welcome ,

I am glad to see a few more people in the south east .
I am near dartford .
Maybe next retro meet will be a bit closer to home . :D

hi, a meet sounds good, lots of retro affected riders hooning about sounds ideal.
must get this Koa done, should look nice, i dont stick rigidly to original spec', just got to be 'right'' will have x-lite chicken stiks, xt thumbies, got a new 105 mech on back, looks right, think panaracer speedblasters will look good, want to put conventional type f/mech lx, on but looks little odd. bike came with silent clutch hub, do you know if can still get replacement f/hub bodies?

Howdy!

Thought it was about time I said hi!

Been cycling for a good few years now.....mountain biking all started for me with a Raleigh Mustang, since then I've owned (and still own) the following.......

1990 Scott Boulder - White Porcupines too....sadly gone!!!
1992 Alpinestars Cro-Mega DX
1998 Bontrager Privateer
2001 Kona Kaboom

The first two are in bits waiting to be revived, the Bontrager gets used now and again and the Kaboom is my regular commuter, just bought a classic Fuquay from Jez to hang all the cool bits I've gathered over the years on and use, just gotta get back on those trails now!!!!

I also have a thing for older cycling clothing with a wardrobe full of Swobo, Chrome, Zoic, Rip n Hammer and my old Brixton Cycles jersey :D Oh, and I have a fetish for DeFeet socks.....about 25 pairs :oops:

Cheers
Stuart

Hello all,

Found the site by chance tonight whilst look for a nice old frame to start building the Mrs a bike. Have been riding since about 91 ish, only owned 2 bikes, had a Dyna-Tech Encounter (the blue and silver one) then bought a Bonty Race Lite frame in 96, still have it, still love it, XT/XTR, RC35 MXCDs, Hope etc. Great to find a site where people are talking about the stuff I know and love, been out of riding for the last 6 years and the world's changed :-(

Can anyone point me in the direction of a shop in the northwest that can rebuild my Hope Radial 28 front on something half decent?, doesn't have to be radially laced, I'm having huge problems finding a shop that can actually get a 28, last shop had the hub for a month and eventually gave it back.

Great site :)

Welcome all.

nohj":2kwh3wr0 said:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a shop in the northwest that can rebuild my Hope Radial 28 front on something half decent?, doesn't have to be radially laced, I'm having huge problems finding a shop that can actually get a 28, last shop had the hub for a month and eventually gave it back.

A Mavic 517 is readily available in 28 hole (picked one up from Wiggle a few months back). As for shops in the NW I've no idea.

Back to the old house...!

Stumbled into this magnificent, if guilty pleasure trip of a site last week and now cannot leave it alone... What can I say - it's brought some hazy memories flooding back: Broxa Forest (that first lap on the moto x course of the Nationals); falling in love with the Nishiki Alien; Tomac at Newnham (and me surviving the Pipeline!); Polaris in the Lakes - snow wiping out the pros on the saturday; NWMBA...

Those of you that are 45 'ish too will know where I've been - bringing up the rear of a fair few Sports class races in the first half of the Nineties!

Since got into motorbikes and old cars - can't really remember where the off road thing stopped, but it did :oops: . I started with the ubiquitous and sadly missed US-spec Zaskar (upgraded with some early Pace suspenders when they became available); then on to a ProFlex 955 with orange Bombers - both long gone.

I have still got a cheapo Kona singlespeed (can't be bothered to take the black tape off to find out the crazy name they gave it!) which has some coolish leftover bits on it (snowflake patterned wheel on a skimpy Hope hub; titanium flite etc. - always gets those in the know stroking their beards!) - just used as a beer scoot currently. There's a Ballistic (from Neil Walton's in Didsbury) with Kona Project Two's for weekend trail riding; and a 2004 (tssk!) Marin Rocky Ridge in the cellar that has been ridden thrice - moden bikes just don't make the pulse quicken, it seems!

Have just 'won' a new old stock Ibis Alibi frame from eBay (see another thread) - so I can play along with you guys and recreate my lost middle years!

Also just discovered Brant Richards' 'On One' cottage industry - gobsmacked! He was an essential figure back in my day - I never met him, (succumbed to some of his ropey DJ'ing at those cold pasta parties though :cool: :LOL: ) but from what I read (pre-internet, remember!) he seemed to have the attitude taped. So glad to see he's kept on keepin' on, so much so that I might even buy one of his bikes!

Now I'm going to look up some old bike buddies from them dayz...

Neil

Hi,
Started riding back in about 1992 on a Marin Bear Valley, upgraded the forks in 1994 to Marzocchi XC200.
In 1996 got a Fuji Stout-lite frame From The Sensible Bike Company in Liss, built it up with 8 speed LX and was my main bike right up until 2004.
Got knocked off the Marin on the work comute and was so sorry to scrap the frame, the XC200 fork seals finally gave out and got resigned to the garage. The fuji is still going with a set of Project two's on them but I want to find another set of XC200's to soften up the front end some.
Seem to be getting soft in my old age as I have now got a Cannondale Jekyll, not retro but fun all the same.

Attachments

• Marin.jpg
    Marin.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,191
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back