1983 Specialized Stumpjumper

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
1983 Specialized Stumpjumper

guisbro002.jpg

This is my latest restoration. I say restoration but it was more like a refreshment as the bike was in fantastic original condition having only been riden a few times from new.

I have owned this bike in the past but sold it to Chris Kay during one of my culls. I always regretted selling it though and as soon as it re-appeared in the For Sale section I pounded out a PM as fast as I could. At this point I would like to say a huge thanks to Mr Lee for picking it up in Manchester for me and to Kaya for bringing it nearer home just before christmas. Cheers guys, I owe you one. ;)

So, the story. This bike was originally given as a gift to the owner of Santa Cruz Skateboards by Mike Sinyard himself. It was probably unwanted though as the rims and brake blocks show no sign of wear and looking at the paintwork it spent most of the last 27 years being pushed around the garage. And that was the rub with this bike- the paint was really letting the side down. Action was needed.

So mid December i made my way down through the snow to Kaya's place by the sea and collected the bike. The next day I stripped the bike down completely and set about shuffling through almost 14,000 colour chips until I found a near match. The nearest was a 1985 Mitsubishi colour but it wasn't quite right so I mixed up several batches- hand tinting by eye and sprayed out some test cards. Whilst they dried I prepped the frame.
I have written about the paint process in my Klunker update today so won't bore you with it again, but again, as this was a very original frame I went for a partial repaint rather than a full shoot. The scratches were contained to the top tube, seat stays and the forks, and as it is a lugged frame I could mask to the lus rather than blend into surrounding areas which would mean a full re-laquer. By mid afternoon the frame was refreshed and I made a start on the parts. these were in perfect condition and just needed a quick rinse in the parts washer to remove old grease and oil, followed by a light buff with a cotton cloth (no polish needed).
The frame was left in the cooling booth overnight whilst i went home to look in the loft for a cleaner pair of amberwalls (the original tyre are long gone due to the ravages of time).

Next morning the frame was given a light polish with compound and wax before getting internally rustproofed with Brunox. With the aid of a cuppa and a few dabs of copperslip the bike was built up, tweeked and adjusted and finished by mid morning. At last the paint was as good as the parts- pristine again. The restoration took less than 24 hours from start to finish so shows just how tidy the bike was to start with. Apart from tyres it is totally original- even down to the cables and brake blocks!

I did intend to ride it the week after at the Cannock Meet, but the weather caused the cancelation. It will be riden at one of the National Rounds this year- probably the Peaks or at MacRetro's bash in August. I do want to spare this bike from the worst of the UK weather- besides it doesn't ride very well and there are much nicer bikes to ride when the trails are slippy and rocky.

I hope you like the pics and thanks for reading. I will do a spec list after lunch.

Cheers
Si

guisbro009.jpg

guisbro013.jpg

guisbro037.jpg

guisbro019.jpg

Spec List

Frame: Specialized Touring Cro-mo made by Toyo japan

Fork: Specialized Touring Cro-mo with cast 'Biplane' crown

Headset: Specialized
Stem/Handlebar: Nitto
Grips: Grab On Mountain

Brakes: Shimano Deerhead
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano 2mm Heavy duty
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano

Shifters: Suntour
Front Derailleur: Suntour
Rear Derailleur: Suntour Mountech
Derailleur Cables: generic
Cassette: Shimano 5 speed freehub
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Sugino AT
Crank Bolts: Steel
Chainrings: Sugino 26/36/46
Chainring bolts: Sugino
Bottom Bracket: Sugino
Pedals: Shimano DX

Hub Skewers: Specialized
Rims: Specialized
Hubs: Specialized
Tyres: Tioga Farmer Johns Cousin (to be changed to Specialized soon)

Saddle: Avocet Touring 1
Seatpost: SR Laprade
Seatpost Binder: Specialized

Weight: 31 lbs (approx)

guisbro003.jpg

guisbro006.jpg

guisbro005.jpg

guisbro014.jpg

guisbro012.jpg

guisbro018.jpg

guisbro017.jpg

guisbro016.jpg

guisbro004.jpg

guisbro015.jpg

st1.jpg

guisbro011.jpg

guisbro010.jpg

The well documented purchase of Ritchey frames by Specialized prior to the release of the Stumpjumper hints at deliberate frame flaws from Ritchey.

My 2/3 years younger facsimile has similar or exact angles/ tube lengths but with effort goes up and down hill pretty well compare to more modern frame designs. It is surprisingly light too, how much does yours weigh and what do you think is 'bad' about the ride?

Mr. Grumpy Arse

I have documented my thoughts on the ride quality (or lack off) in the Bikes of Quality thread, but in short the handling is very poor. It doesn't like low speed turns, skips and jumps on anything other than smooth trails and shimmys and bucks at high speed. It doesn't hold a line either and drifts wide in the curves.
Weight is just over 31lbs.

I still like it though. It has character by the boat load.

Looking at this uber cool specimen it's very similar in geometry to my CB Canyon. Sorry to hear it doesn't ride too well though. Admittedly I haven't given mine a good workout but on first impressions I am happy with the ride. It's lighter than my Marin and climbs pretty well (even if the width of the bars mean you feel like you are on a trials bike!). Coming down hill, yes it bumps and skits a bit but is huge fun. I happen to like that 'ping' of gravel off the back tire whilst hanging on for dear life experience :LOL:

And the Mountech/Suntour combo hasn't missed a gear yet...

As I say that looks lovely. That fork man....noice!

:D awesome bike, i really love the look of the bikes from the 80's era, what i see as proper retro MTBs.

is it going to be a rider Si?

Back