Shwalbe Stelvio tyres

drumnagorrach

Dirt Disciple
Needing new tyres on my HH restoration project,the front is a Shwalbe Stelvio 23-622 ( 700-23c ). I have seen these for sale at a resonable price.
Are they old tecnology ,or still fairly good tyres ?

Pretty decent tyre, light ish winter/training @ 235g @ 23mm

Dual compound, even f they're all the same colour, slick centre with file tread sides, no big transition between the two.
Puncture resistant band under the tread.

Schwalbe changed the tread lact year to create the Durano, but the compound and carcasses are the same as before.

All the best,

I bought a job lot of 5 Stelvios a couple of years back. They last OK but the ride is dead feeling and I have taken them off all my bikes now even though there is plenty of life left in them. I am reserving them for the turbo.

argonsixar":22m4tpzx said:
I bought a job lot of 5 Stelvios a couple of years back. They last OK but the ride is dead feeling and I have taken them off all my bikes now even though there is plenty of life left in them. I am reserving them for the turbo.
Yes, they do feel a bit dead but they last pretty well and are good for training and commuting on. The new Durano Plus are great for the winter commute, no punctures as yet this winter after 2,000+ miles (touch wood)

I've a couple of pairs - pretty durable but not as tough as others. The downside of any tyres with a degree of puncture resistance is the dead feeling because of the heavier tyre carcass - same for Conti GP4 Seasons. Depends on whether you want fast, lightweight and responsive or durability and toughness - generally you can't have both.

I used Stelvio's for the last couple of years. I have Schwalbe on all my bikes on and off road. Used the Stelvio mainly as they were cheap (£10-20max). On-One have loads of schwalbe's on offer right now.

I found they gripped well, but cut easily. Never had a puncture, but scrapped out 3 as they got knicked and the cut grew. The Durano is meant to be a bit tougher, but the Blizzard Sport is as good and even cheaper.

I now use Vredesten tri-comp in the damp and Schwalbe Ultremo's in the dry. Again prices are tumbling as 2011 model tyres come out (try Merlin cycles).

If you're wanting a quick ride over reasonably decent roads go for the Stelvio Light, very tasty IMHO. Inflate to 145psi max as std. :D

Back