Pedals: old M545.
Chain: KMC track.

Rims: Halo Aerorage 32h.
Tyres: Halo Twin Rail Courier.
Spokes: db stainless.
Front hub: Hope Mono.
Front skewer: Shimano STX RC.
Rear hub: Surly fixed, 17t.

Out of all the bikes I've built, aesthetically I think this is the best balanced. I ordered black tyres, but white were sent and I decided to run with them as they forgot to charge for my rims and I didn't want to rock the boat! I think they give it a nice '50s vibe though.

Thought I'd update this a bit - this is in it's touring form. Full XT M737 with Hope Mono hubset, Halo Tourist tyres and R400 8-speed downtube shifters. Very stable and a joy to ride even with a bulky Carradice.

Attachments

• surly.jpg
    surly.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 3,268
And here it is in cyclocross guise. Spec as above, but with Michelin 'cross tyres in a horrid colour. Impressively fast off road but I'll admit to much preferring a flat bar over a drop bar off road anyday!

Attachments

• surlyx.jpg
    surlyx.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 3,271
XCDave":1ga4dpze said:
Michelin 'cross tyres in a horrid colour.

I don't suppose that means you'd be open to flogging them or swapping them for some 'cross tyres in a much more tasteful black ?
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

NakedGav":39cc65nr said:
XCDave":39cc65nr said:
Michelin 'cross tyres in a horrid colour.

I don't suppose that means you'd be open to flogging them or swapping them for some 'cross tyres in a much more tasteful black ?
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

+1. The colour might not be everyone's cup of tea but in all other respects these tyres have a really sound reputation.

David

Aesthetics are everything in my world!
Unfortunately chaps, Ed Edwards pm'ed me about them almost as soon as I posted the picture up to arrange a swap for some nice black ones. Apparently they're more popular than I thought! Sorry for any dissappointment.
Dave.

XCDave":ojniju3f said:
Unfortunately chaps, Ed Edwards pm'ed me about them almost as soon as I posted the picture up to arrange a swap for some nice black ones.

bugger :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back