Bottecchia 989 -RIP - new pic added

Cossington

Retro Guru
This was my favourite road bike. Originally with its red Columbus fork, later changed to a carbon fork to save weight (I was young and knew no better...). I bought this 61cm (c-c) frame and forks second hand, but in great condition. I drove an hour or so away to view and was led into a bike-dedicated garage. Looking wonderful, was this frame - Italian, red, shiny. I bought it and swapped the kit over from my second bike (a Graham Weigh 653 steel frame). After a few rides the handling made this become my number one bike - I sold my recently acquired (and far lighter) Litespeed and enjoyed this as my only bike.

As time went on other bikes came and went (including Colnagos and a Pegoretti) and this became the second bike, third bike, etc. Used for attaching the child seat on the back (with young children for a while this became the only way I ever got on my bikes). Over Christmas I was determined to give it a gentle refurb - get rid of the rust, touch up the paintwork and re-install the original (pristine) steel fork. Sadly I discovered a crack running 40% around the lower part of one seat stay. Presumably rusted through from inside.

It is now hanging up in my bike den, I cant bear to take it to the tip for scrap. I seem to recall paying about £85 for this in about 2001/02. Despite having more expensive and exotic bikes over the intervening years, none has give me the heart-leaping thrill this did when I first saw it. Or the feeling as I rode it that the geometry, handling and fit were way ahead of any other bike I'd had. It was love at first sight. R.I.P.

I've found a picture of its original state with steel forks in situ.

David

Attachments

• Bottecchia carbon fork.jpg
    Bottecchia carbon fork.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 5,990
  • Big red Italians.jpg
    Big red Italians.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 5,990
  • Bottecchia side view.jpg
    Bottecchia side view.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 5,916
Hi Playford,
I'm sure it could be fixed, but by the time the tube is repaired/ replaced and then resprayed, the cost would be considerable. I think for the same money I would rather buy another frame (without a semi-stuck seat-post, various chipped paint, rust spots etc).

I also have a Merckx Corsa Extra, lovely winter bike, stiff and stable, a few paint chips etc. I had that re-sprayed by Mercian a year or so ago. When it came back, immaculate, it was too good to use as a winter bike! So it got built up and sits, immaculate, in my bike den. As I have a couple of more modern bikes (C40 and an Ovalmaster), it doesn't get ridden in the summer, either.

Is there a name for my condition/problem?!

David

Cossington":1z1jljpt said:
Hi Playford,
I'm sure it could be fixed, but by the time the tube is repaired/ replaced and then resprayed, the cost would be considerable. I think for the same money I would rather buy another frame (without a semi-stuck seat-post, various chipped paint, rust spots etc).

I do not agree!
Look into it and I'm sure you'll be suprised. If I wasn't at work I'd write about it more, but I am certain you could have the frame fixed and looking brand-new for sub-£200. Well worth it if you love the frame?

Hi 'i-am-iron-man',
I agree with your ballpark figure. I had a quick look on the Mercian site - £65+VAT to replace a seat stay, a little more to remove the seat post, then respray costs - £50 for a cheap powder coat, maybe, or closer to £150 for a Mercian respray with decals etc. So, yes £150 to £200 is around about the cost I would expect to refurb, dependent on level of finish.

The excitement when I first saw the frame was like a child's on Christmas morning. I've done lots of happy (and hard) miles on this, but over the past few years it has been demoted in my bike hierarchy. I'd prefer to put the £200(ish) towards a different frame (eg a script-decaled Bottecchia in SLX, or Planet X's Guerciottis look fab). I'm a perennial e-Bay peruser.

Lots of wonderful bikes each riding a little differently; so little time. (Sorry that makes me sound like a 'bike-tart'!).

Regards,

David

RIP Bottecchia 989

I have owned a 989 57cm bike since 1999 bought from new. sadly its took a big hammering over the years including all weather riding and comuting plus two flanders sportives over the full distance, magic over the cobbles. when i was in the military i even took it around the world with me on ship! Probably helped its rust problem starting. No bike has ever came near to the comfort and handling/fit that this frame and fork gave me, mines sadly missed too. Will not get rid of it it hangs in the garage, maybe one day i will get her renovated.
RIP indeed.

Back