The forever bike... respray reccomendations.

playford

Retro Guru
Looking at seeing about picking up this frame. Hillsborough is a few miles up the road from my gf's house. The frame dates from the 50's, the gordons were prob the most famous of NI frame builders for road racing.

It's going to need resprayed sadly, The plan for this bike is to build a nice commuter/road bike for me to keep very long term, it wont be a garage queen by any means.

argos, mercian, dave yates and bob jackson all seem to be around the £160 mark for one colour, decals applied and delivery. Durability is a big factor in who I go to as well. If im spending that kind of money I want something a bit special that will last. I'm thinking mercian?

5325628344_b08bde8dcb_z.jpg

5325628028_7b9c774946.jpg

5325020513_249bb66dd0.jpg

agreed £90 incl set of decals that seems pretty fair :)

]http://mharding.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/mg_6957.jpg?w=510

I love the colour and paint finish on this BJ, maybe a touch more red.

I've used Dave Yates and Mercian and I'd pick Dave Yates out of those two.

I'm sure I've read somewhre that Kevin Winter's paint jobs last longer than most!

I'm not after anything that fancy, metallic and simple lugs lined really.

I think I'm gonna go with bob jackson maybe, as like the colour and seems to work out 30-40 less at least than mercian.

I was asking as much in relation to durability of finish, whether some are tougher/more prone to chipping than others.

powdercoat would be too thick for lugs and not dull metallic finish I want.

Im also thinking of getting some touch up paint made up and just filling in the scratchs then clear coating it.

I pick up the frame on saturday so will see how it looks without grime and after a bit of t cut. pics to follow.

Left the girlfriends novy frame into be powdercoated today, £50.

see how it looks in when I get it back friday.

Picked this up yesterday.

It really is stunning, whats left of paint work gives a hint of how nice it could be when finished. I'm just looking at what I'll have to sell to afford a trip for it to bob jacksons. I've done frames before, but this deserves something a bit better tbh.

pics later today when I get a chance.

Back