Raleigh Silver Jubilee

RichT

Retro Guru
Has anyone got one?

They were, as the name states, a special edition built in 1977 for Queenies 25th year on the throne.

My oldest friend, as in time known, not his age (we're both 43, & we've known each other for almost 40 of those years) has one.

It's apparantly partially dismantled (probably only wheels out & bars turned sideways) & lives in his (or his mothers?) loft

He tells me it was 'greased up' before storage (coming from a farming background, he knows about machinery perservation)

I've tried to persuade him to resurrect it, if only for me to photograph it, but to no avail - yet!

I called yesterday whilst out riding by his house, & he was quite taken with my Ridley Orion, & couldn't believe the weight (but being incredulous at being told that it was still heavy!)

The 'SJ' was mentioned again.

Oh, & he's still got (so he tells me) his old Triumph Palm-Beach somewhere in one of his outbuildings.

Not a model I've heard of before. Any more details?

Is it as bling as the golden centenary edition

28032009206_246.jpg

not blingy at all. A cheapish high street model, but i remember them in halfords as a kid and thought they were the ultimate. I also thought the Raleigh Arena was a thoroughbred racer, so you can tell I wasnt brought up in a cycling family.

not blingy at all. A cheapish high street model, but i remember them in halfords as a kid and thought they were the ultimate. I also thought the Raleigh Arena was a thoroughbred racer, so you can tell I wasnt brought up in a cycling family.

Not so, The Centenery was a 531 frame made by hand in Raleigh Special Products Division at Nottingham. It was hand polished then Gold plated "n" microns thick. It was made as a limited edition of 100, although we had to make spares to ensure that the quality of the ones that went out.
Centenery3.jpg

Centenery1.jpg

Centenery2.jpg

Agree, looks bling to me :cool: Gold plating, P-Diddy would love it.

bikemeister2000 sounds like you used to work for the Heron is some way, tell us more....

confusion ???

I was responding to the query about the jubilee. The thread seems to have moved onto the upmarket centenary, which is definitely bling.

My memories of the jubilee are a black or silver, mass market gas-piper frame with all steel components - cottered cranks etc.??

Matt Seaton's book The Escape Artist, it was his very first bike. 70s chain store special in silver with steel everything. I wouldn't get too excited about it.

Raleigh Jubilee

Hi,

I own a Raleigh Jubilee bike. It was the first real present my parents purchased for me back 1977 for £188 (I think). Me and my friend bought the only 2 in the Raleigh store in Leicester.

Kev.

Raleigh silver jubilee racer

I have one of these bikes in my loft and was thinking of selling it im wondering what its worth

Back