Raleigh Cobra, it's not that bad honest. Update 2 years on.

hydorah":1t93t925 said:
You've obviously decided to stick with it and put some more effort and now some money into it

I hope the BB will hold up under the strain of actually being used to get you to and from uni...

Does it have any play in it? Nope it's rock solid in all directions apart from its rotation obviously

Sounds like you are taking it on trails too? It's certainly being used offroad but only bridleways no jumps/rock gardens/downhill racing etc.

Anyway, I am glad you've found something you like It's fun yes but only temporary I think an expensive but slow custom build is very likely in the near future.

But really all anybody is thinking about is your best interests as a cyclist Thanks, it's nice people care

Diplomacy and tact may not be too evident but hard earned technical knowledge and experience is Got that impression strait away

I think you would be well served to pay heed a little Will do, am doing see above.

sylus":2rmhz6ja said:
hydorah":2rmhz6ja said:
Barneyballbags":2rmhz6ja said:
JeRkY":2rmhz6ja said:
You can't call LGF a bike snob, for christ sakes he owns a GT! :LOL:

And what's wrong with GT?!?! ;) :LOL: ;) :LOL:

Nothing that's not also wrong with Kona, Scott, Specialized, Trek, Giant and Marin

perhaps best explained with a rather cheesy saying

Power is knowledge..has always been incomplete and it should have been

Power is knowledge only when applied wisely

Gah! to be so misunderstood

Not elitist, not intending to quell anyone's enthusiasm and as I have actually said; I'm pleased that someone is getting their hands dirty and gaining some knowledge

But the technical observation on the bike in this post are valid and accurate and shouldn't just be dismissed as snobbery

I have a Marin paid £30 for it

Have a Trek paid £30 for it

Have a Giant (which will be sold on) Paid £15 for it

None of these are bad bikes as such, just cheaper commodity bikes

The Marin in particular is actually rather cool

These brands make high end bikes and commodity bikes which is what I was inferring with that quote

Personally, I don't have any exotica at all, I'm not one of the posh kids

But I was riding BITD when stuff like the Cobra was about and I know the lessons to be learned - I learned 'em

If the original poster in this thread needs a new BB or wants a better rear mech or something then the advice of those - who may have appeared elitist (what a misinterpretation!) - will resonate soundly

i bought this GT for the princely sum of 80 colonial dollars, roughly about 40 guineas.

It is in immaculate condition and the only thing I needed to do was buy some new shifters as the rear one had had it. 30 dollars later on eBay and its working a treat. The perfect knock about bike!

179637_483819391050_603521050_6526013_5553863_n.jpg

Can I just say, I have not been offended or hurt by anything said and I haven't used the word elitest or snob.

Yes I know it won't last forever but thats life. I just bought and sold a townsend, now that was very very cheap and nasty even the crank arms were made of plastic as well as the brakes brake levers and nearly everything else. Bought for £10 as the tyres looked good and I wanted the gel seat as well sold for £20 as someone commented on it in the bike shed so sold it to them.

You should see the uni bike shed this cobra of mine is the most valuable in there. :shock:

spike3":1odfhil0 said:
hydorah":1odfhil0 said:
You've obviously decided to stick with it and put some more effort and now some money into it

I hope the BB will hold up under the strain of actually being used to get you to and from uni...

Does it have any play in it? Nope it's rock solid in all directions apart from its rotation obviously

Sounds like you are taking it on trails too? It's certainly being used offroad but only bridleways no jumps/rock gardens/downhill racing etc.

Anyway, I am glad you've found something you like It's fun yes but only temporary I think an expensive but slow custom build is very likely in the near future.

But really all anybody is thinking about is your best interests as a cyclist Thanks, it's nice people care

Diplomacy and tact may not be too evident but hard earned technical knowledge and experience is Got that impression strait away

I think you would be well served to pay heed a little Will do, am doing see above.

Awesome!

Anyway - I though you were a student - why aren't you out and about getting filled up with beer???
:LOL:

Well, it now stops quite well. Juddery on the front brake but at least it stops now.

4x new modern Clarks post mount pads seem to have made a world of difference to the original pads. Whilst not that worn they had been set up so badly that it was impossible to get decent brakes as they had worn in odd directions and places.

Now just got to sort the new for today front puncture.

Hi

Just found this thread via google, hope no one minds a bit of resurrection?

I had a Cobra as my first ATB, I was 11 and this bike took huge punishment from me, usual kid stuff; badly made wooden jumps, trips to the local quarry to ride down spoil heaps, ghost rides, left out in all weathers.

Eventually the Bottom bracket collapsed, and was used as an excuse to get my first proper mountain bike, a Carrara Waikiloa. (don't laugh)

Seeing this thread was a great trip down memory lane, thanks.

Thunderchief":36cho2ba said:
Hi

Just found this thread via google, hope no one minds a bit of resurrection?

I had a Cobra as my first ATB, I was 11 and this bike took huge punishment from me, usual kid stuff; badly made wooden jumps, trips to the local quarry to ride down spoil heaps, ghost rides, left out in all weathers.

Eventually the Bottom bracket collapsed, and was used as an excuse to get my first proper mountain bike, a Carrara Waikiloa. (don't laugh)

Seeing this thread was a great trip down memory lane, thanks.

thats kinda what its all about in my opinion

FUN

Well I am pleased to see it, before I left school an Orange Clockwork seemed to be a rare and expensive bike, this was more like it what we knocked about on. Bikes only got Prestige, Mavic and XT when I got a job!

I'm voting it for BOTM just for badness sake! ;)

Back