Any difference between Yeti and Accutrax forks?

bmx4130crmo":3kjixx5u said:
ftwelder":3kjixx5u said:
The original Yeti forks had several small changes over the years. The original had campy drops that were modified. The leg end caps were saw-cut from solid bar at an angle. The steerers were made from raw tube, threaded and had a .833 (13/16") ID for BMX stems.

The next version had laser-cut dropouts, flat cut end caps and steerers that were internally reamed to 22.2mm (7/8" or .875") This version has the crown ring welded to the steerer in an earlier operation with leg welds covering them.

The next version used tru-temper steerers and legs. Most of these were recalled and destroyed.

The next version would be the Accutrax. They should be the same as the second version.

Of the forks in the earlier thread, the left one is a tru-temper/yeti. The right is an accutrax.

hi frank, welcome here and thanks for the detailed infos.

cheers michael
Yes, thanks very much, Frank! It's great to receive information direct from the source. :cool:

Frank, does your information also apply to the 1 1/4" flavor of the forks? The dropouts on my fork are the laser cut version and the end caps are angled. Is the bend in the legs the only real difference between the Yeti and Accutrax versions?

mfh126":39qn3vu9 said:
Yes, thanks very much, Frank! It's great to receive information direct from the source. :cool:

Frank, does your information also apply to the 1 1/4" flavor of the forks? The dropouts on my fork are the laser cut version and the end caps are angled. Is the bend in the legs the only real difference between the Yeti and Accutrax versions?

Mike - yours sound like BMX forks - see if you can off load them with those cranks :LOL: (Brs arrived safe and sound - thanks for those just the job :D

FTW - thanks for the info - I have often wondered about the vintage of mine - will check in the garage tonight.

nevadasmith":1l9z5d7p said:
mfh126":1l9z5d7p said:

Mike - yours sound like BMX forks - see if you can off load them with those cranks :LOL: (Brs arrived safe and sound - thanks for those just the job :D

FTW - thanks for the info - I have often wondered about the vintage of mine - will check in the garage tonight.

Adrian - were you joking about the BMX part? Sorry, the cranks are staying. ;) :LOL:

mfh126":2v5wtrjq said:
nevadasmith":2v5wtrjq said:
mfh126":2v5wtrjq said:

Adrian - were you joking about the BMX part? Sorry, the cranks are staying. ;) :LOL:

Yes - worth a try! (Give you £50 quid for them?) :D

nevadasmith":3djxh18h said:
mfh126":3djxh18h said:
nevadasmith":3djxh18h said:
mfh126":3djxh18h said:

Yes - worth a try! (Give you £50 quid for them?) :D
Everybody's a comedian! Sorry, the forks are staying with the frame! :p

mfh126":3a7co223 said:
bmx4130crmo":3a7co223 said:
ftwelder":3a7co223 said:
The original Yeti forks had several small changes over the years. The original had campy drops that were modified. The leg end caps were saw-cut from solid bar at an angle. The steerers were made from raw tube, threaded and had a .833 (13/16") ID for BMX stems.

The next version had laser-cut dropouts, flat cut end caps and steerers that were internally reamed to 22.2mm (7/8" or .875") This version has the crown ring welded to the steerer in an earlier operation with leg welds covering them.

The next version used tru-temper steerers and legs. Most of these were recalled and destroyed.

The next version would be the Accutrax. They should be the same as the second version.

Of the forks in the earlier thread, the left one is a tru-temper/yeti. The right is an accutrax.

cheers michael

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome. As I remember, the 1-1/4" came about at the same time as true-temper and the tighter bend radius. I don't remember making a lot of 1-1/4" forks (perhaps 200?) so I think if you have tighter radius it could Answer or Yeti. Keep in mind that Yeti built forks marked "Accutrax" during the time Answer was ramping up or had supply issues.

All Yeti or accutrax forks had angled end caps, some (old) end caps were saw-cut from bar stock (like salami) and later one had caps that were cut from thin flat sheet in an oval shape. The older ones will have gouges from the saw teeth visible in the surface (depending on paint thickness). If your has laser-cut drops the caps are may be laser/flat cut or saw cut. We are talking about very subtle details here not major revelations. There were also other brands of front drops. The Campy ones were track drops too. Yum.

I am glad to help out. We might as well try to document some of this stuff while I still remember, I know what trouble it is finding information. I have about ten British road bikes (mostly Raleigh/Carlton) going back to the 30's and perhaps twenty other bikes to the 1890's. It's funny being an avid researcher and on occasion, a subject myself.

I hope this helps
:)

PS, I don't know why you want this junk when you have a Hobbs or a RRA in your uncles barn.. :twisted:

ftwelder":23dqq5ly said:
PS, I don't know why you want this junk when you have a Hobbs or a RRA in your uncles barn.. :twisted:

Grass is always greener. We welcomed Madonna over here in the UK for a while 'til we wise up, you guys welcomed Piers Morgan and Simon Cowell, you will wise up shortly!

Edit: but I do still like this junk

y0i3e2.jpg

ftwelder":4wfqqlxs said:
mfh126":4wfqqlxs said:
bmx4130crmo":4wfqqlxs said:
ftwelder":4wfqqlxs said:

cheers michael

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome. As I remember, the 1-1/4" came about at the same time as true-temper and the tighter bend radius. I don't remember making a lot of 1-1/4" forks (perhaps 200?) so I think if you have tighter radius it could Answer or Yeti. Keep in mind that Yeti built forks marked "Accutrax" during the time Answer was ramping up or had supply issues.

All Yeti or accutrax forks had angled end caps, some (old) end caps were saw-cut from bar stock (like salami) and later one had caps that were cut from thin flat sheet in an oval shape. The older ones will have gouges from the saw teeth visible in the surface (depending on paint thickness). If your has laser-cut drops the caps are may be laser/flat cut or saw cut. We are talking about very subtle details here not major revelations. There were also other brands of front drops. The Campy ones were track drops too. Yum.

I am glad to help out. We might as well try to document some of this stuff while I still remember, I know what trouble it is finding information. I have about ten British road bikes (mostly Raleigh/Carlton) going back to the 30's and perhaps twenty other bikes to the 1890's. It's funny being an avid researcher and on occasion, a subject myself.

I hope this helps
:)

Thanks again, Frank. I'll post a picture of my fork and maybe that'll help decipher things a bit.

BTW - I'm a fellow American, that's why I want this "junk". ;)

That is a very old fork, welded by yours truly. Campy track drops. Saw cut caps. Is there a hole drilled in the bottom of that cap that has been plug welded?

Latest posts

Back