Any Alfine users on here?

skinheadjc

Retro Guru
So are there any Alfine users out there?
what are your thoughts on its mtb use etc....

i just bought a new alfine 11 for the mtb today - i run the 8 speed on my comuter which convinced me that the 11 was tehy was to go over 10 speed.....

dont know - only ordered it today, it was an ebay buy @ £365 as a complete kit inc fitting kit, sprocket, shifter and tensioner.
There was a batch out before Christmas, but it went to maufactures - i'm guessing that the one i bought is from the orignal batch.
I love the 8 speed on my other bike - and the improvements on the look great.

It'll be at least a week or two befor its built up.....
so watch this space.

skinheadjc":dk4quu6l said:
So are there any Alfine users out there?
what are your thoughts on its mtb use etc....
i just bought a new alfine 11 for the mtb today - i run the 8 speed on my comuter which convinced me that the 11 was tehy was to go over 10 speed.....

I've been wondering about the new 11 speed version too?
I have an 8 speed waiting to go in to a project bike soon.

As stated by the big "S" the Alfine is not suitable for serious MTB use, if you want real quality go for a Rohloff, big money but you won't be dissapointed,

yo-eddy":30ge5tbp said:
As stated by the big "S" the Alfine is not suitable for serious MTB use, if you want real quality go for a Rohloff, big money but you won't be dissapointed,

The new Alfine 11 is rated MTB friendly by Shimano. I like the 'industrialness' of the Rohloff, but its too heavy, expensive and as far as i know it only is avalible with gripshift - they've been saying for years that they will develop a rapid fire style one.

Weight is about the same (Rohloff being lighter :roll: )
http://www.rohloff.de/en/news/news_rss/ ... index.html
Alfine might be friendly for your MTB, but your MTB won't be friendly for your Alfine ;) No manufacturers have Alfine on their MTB's..... for a reason.
Agree on the shifter, but I like the Gripshift a lot, makes it possible to shift down up to 8 gears with one twist of your wrist.....without pedalling..... call that rapid fire!
For me, being 198cm and 95kg, the Rohloff is the only hub that holds..... for over 2 1/2 years of riding hard now.
Seriously hope the Alfine will suit your needs though, please keep us updated,
cheers Roy

yo-eddy":2yd29iaf said:
Weight is about the same (Rohloff being lighter :roll: )
http://www.rohloff.de/en/news/news_rss/ ... index.html
Alfine might be friendly for your MTB, but your MTB won't be friendly for your Alfine ;) No manufacturers have Alfine on their MTB's..... for a reason.
Agree on the shifter, but I like the Gripshift a lot, makes it possible to shift down up to 8 gears with one twist of your wrist.....without pedalling..... call that rapid fire!
For me, being 198cm and 95kg, the Rohloff is the only hub that holds..... for over 2 1/2 years of riding hard now.
Seriously hope the Alfine will suit your needs though, please keep us updated,
cheers Roy

Well the new Alfine 11 is esentially a Rohloff with 3 less gears (oil bath, conical gearing etc) - its also less than half the price. Also several manufactures have had Alfines on there MTBs for several years - all using the Alfine 8. Charge, Genisis etc.

i'll double check the weight of the Alfine when i get home as it should arrive today. I think any manufacture will react when the competion says that their product is better, and both Shimano and Rohloffs weights need independent verification.

Back