full time job in a

I used to get £20 per day and have 2 days off a week, both week days. :(

Staff discount made my salary up to the eqivelent of £40 a day though! :LOL:

www.bikebiz.com

that should help. Decent mechys are few & far between..

we are lucky to have one of the best in our area, but then he works his ******* arse off + he is very, very good.

good luck ;)

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/s ... cardinal=9

These are good guys (at least were in edinburgh 18years back)

The job is in manchester, they run the business as a workers co-operative which I think means if you join as a co-op member you get profit share.

They are spreading into england now I think by joining up with established LBS and rebranding.

~I still use the edinburgh one as my LBS and it is 60 miles away.

Career

The reason a lot of staff in bike shops are below parr, (No offence to Cannondale king) is because of the crap wages they pay. It becomes embarassing when some young staffer tries to "advise" me in a bike shop, they soon wander off, when they realise they're out of their depth, with yours truely. What gets me is, that most of them have little or no interest in bikes! IMHO all mechanics should have to be fully qulified and undergo cpd, to retain their license in return for a fair wage of at least £10 per hour.

i agree worldranger but in realility it aint gonna happen. the shop i work in pays unqualifed salesman bout 170 a week wages which i admit is rubbish, we basically cannot get staff who know alot about the products and want low ages so you end up getting stuck with younger lads, learnt form a young age if you want more money leave .. we do get people who 'think' they know more than salesman/mechanics and maybe they do and try and 'test' them but they should get out more. our main force off salesman are there so sell 99.99 pound bikes which they do quite well, and have a few more which do both witha good knowlage off top parts. i can honestly vouch for a handfull off good mechanics in this town who work in the bike shops.

good luck with your search , hope you find a decent shop.

Dead right - I am as the name suggests a bike shop owner, we are actually a workers Co-op and have been for Thirty years - the money is pretty good - provided you are a Co-op member (pretty decent wages + Quaterly bonus), but it is a very rewarding job, my dad always used to say "Job satisfaction is great, but it don't pay the bills!" - how right he was, Great job when you are single (or just hitched), but takes a little more effort when the kiddies come along and devour every penny! I am Cytec qualified, and I love the job, butr whenever we have trained up staff and put them thru' Cytec - they instantly p**s off and get a job elsewhere - strangley not in the cycle trade? but then they want to come back a month later! Stick at the job get tons of qualifications if you can and apply for a Job on Bike Biz with either a decent shop - try a co-op and stay for a few years and try to get into the co-op ifself, or go for a job with a distributor.

Bikeshopowner":bkpv5biz said:
we are actually a workers Co-op and have been for Thirty years .

:shock: WoW great good to hear. Keep up the good work. Wish i could use you as my local bike shop

Back