XL on One Il Pompino full bike - now with photo

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I've got a Pompino that I bought in haste as had a previous one, loved it then sold it, saw this one and got it. Anyway, little room in the shed so this should really go.

It's a light blue Il Pompino singlespeed/fixed semi compact drop barred bike that runs v's/cantis and with adequate clearances could handle some light offroad/cross. Standard spec bar change of stem and (better) road tyres. Comes complete except pedals. On One describe the XL as suitable for 6' to 6' 4".

Looking for £200 plus post or collect from Hereford (preferred option to be honest).

Can do pics more photos if that helps

Attachments

• Il Pompino.JPG
    Il Pompino.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 3,250
orange71":1rk0p6al said:
what is this - 29er or 700c or 26"? may be interested

Blimey Ed, quick off the mark there!

It's a 700c wheeled bike, there's a pic of the frame here http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?modul ... &PAGE_id=5 although mine doesn't have the black stays (they haven't had those for a very long time). I think they have some new build photos on that site too although mine has steel forks. Oh, and it's vgc.

(note: be careful doing a search, "il pompino" is something rude in Italian!)

basically I've been toying with the idea of a 29er in XL, so wondering if this would fit the mark. Would it be sacrilege to add suspension forks, and do 29er offroad tyres fit 700c? And as you say, would it be up to more than light offroad duty?

I think you could probably fit very narrow 29er tyres (1.5s if they exist?) and as the rear end is 135 spacing you'd probably be alright. That saying clearance would be tight and it would definitely not be up to serious offroad action and the front end will of course not be suspension corrected.

So all in all I guess the answer is that if you want a 29er this probably isn't for you, but if you want a hardy and durable commuter (I toured Wales on mine with a saddlebag) that can take mudguards but also with cross tyres fitted can handle some offroad then this is just the job.

but if you want a hardy and durable commuter (I toured Wales on mine with a saddlebag) that can take mudguards but also with cross tyres fitted can handle some offroad then this is just the job.

sadly (or happily!) got one of them - my Technium...

oh well, search goes on! Will have to wait till 29ers are retro enough and prices come down!

Hi Ed,

Interested in the Pomp (folks live in Gloucester so potential collection!)

Could you either PM me some photos or email me some depending on size - email in profile.

Cheers,

Mark

ededwards said:
Bit like the Cove Hummer, isn't it?

Yup, there's even another synonim in Italian, which is as onomatopoeic as "hummer": it would be a perfect translation. Very used in Florence, but I think these linguistic digressions are quite off topic...

Back