Raleigh Cobra, it's not that bad honest. Update 2 years on.

We_are_Stevo":1va5bset said:
Now, getting around as much as I do, I see a lot of student-bikes outside Uni's, Colleges, railway stations, pubs etc and I can't imagine anyone of a sane disposition wanting to leave even a marginally better bike than this amongst them?

Go for it... :cool:

The main reason I bought it, that and it was tidy, all there and working

JeRkY":2ow6qquh said:
sylus":2ow6qquh said:
Don't worry about the elitist snobbery that happens a lot in here.... Even the most up themselves label snobs can be very helpfull

You can't call LGF a bike snob, for christ sakes he owns a GT! :LOL:

OI rob outside now 19" paces at err 19 paces

you have a GT , dont you ?

if you want the shifting to work properly, look out for a Shimano slant parallelogram rear mech with an integrated frame mount or use one of these and fit a better mech:

406.jpg

So the Cobra was the catalogue version of the Mustang?

We have plunged to new depths. It is the Retrobike equivalent of the Lada Riva. I think at £30 you were had- there are better bikes in the bottom of every canal in the country.

i think it has a certain quirky charm and with careful selection of parts look what can be achieved

Attachments

• spoiler-11.jpg
    spoiler-11.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,739
hydorah":35l1efyh said:
Barneyballbags":35l1efyh said:
JeRkY":35l1efyh said:
You can't call LGF a bike snob, for christ sakes he owns a GT! :LOL:

And what's wrong with GT?!?! ;) :LOL: ;) :LOL:

Nothing that's not also wrong with Kona, Scott, Specialized, Trek, Giant and Marin

and I think thats the point Hyd..you can of course use common sense that one very exspensive bike will be in some areas a better bike..but..that doesn't make you a better owner if you continually look down on others without the same pocket..orrrr...the same wish just to buy a top end bike to feel like you have beaten the jones

as to lada riva so throw it in the pond..really? some havn't read this thread properly, the chap makes it clear he is on a learning curve and this was a good first place..the passion and enthusiasm to get thier hands dirty and enjoy retros should never be attempted to be quoshed by bike snobbery

as to the exscuse..well they asked for an opinion on the bike....surely to encourage anyone to join rbuk there are better ways to not look snobby, elistist and out of touch with the drive of rb without making someone they have bought the biking equivalent of a leper

This place is to push the drive for those who enjoy and own retro bikes to as many as possible and offer a welcoming hand to those who share a passion..and not some kind of snobbery elite who ask how much did you spend before you can be accepted. If the case is that the more that join some feel less relevant than I can only assume that some need to realise that and stop making people with cheaper bikes feel like pants

The site is called retro bike uk.....not elistist and how exspensive is your bike uk

Thank fully it's a very small handfull

perhaps best explained with a rather cheesy saying

Power is knowledge..has always been incomplete and it should have been

Power is knowledge only when applied wisely

My poor raleigh, Legrandfromage did someone you know die on a cobra you really do seem to reserve a deep hatred for it.

It really isn't that bad I've ridden £200-£300 "modern" bikes that are much worse.

The rear deraileur now works very well as does the front after a little more tweaking, in fact the front is near silent and shifts ever so cleanly.

For £30 I really don't think I was had for everythink works and the paint is tidy with virtually no rust anywhere.

Anyway on another note hopefully my new brake blocks will arrive on monday so I can get on and set the brakes up properly .

New tyres are also on the future order list as the current ones really don't grip that well offroad. CRC has some at £6 each which should do nicely.

spike3":2q9l69gn said:
My poor raleigh, Legrandfromage did someone you know die on a cobra you really do seem to reserve a deep hatred for it.

It really isn't that bad I've ridden £200-£300 "modern" bikes that are much worse.

The rear deraileur now works very well as does the front after a little more tweaking, in fact the front is near silent and shifts ever so cleanly.

For £30 I really don't think I was had for everythink works and the paint is tidy with virtually no rust anywhere.

Anyway on another note hopefully my new brake blocks will arrive on monday so I can get on and set the brakes up properly .

New tyres are also on the future order list as the current ones really don't grip that well offroad. CRC has some at £6 each which should do nicely.

You've obviously decided to stick with it and put some more effort and now some money into it

I hope the BB will hold up under the strain of actually being used to get you to and from uni...

Does it have any play in it?

Sounds like you are taking it on trails too?

Anyway, I am glad you've found something you like

But really all anybody is thinking about is your best interests as a cyclist

Diplomacy and tact may not be too evident but hard earned technical knowledge and experience is

I think you would be well served to pay heed a little

Latest posts

Back