Dunkers big bad build thread

One of the Shimano jobs, just the bit that attaches to the bottom bracket. Can't really justify a Park one. If it's well stuck I'll take it to Bike Station and use their tools.

I think it's going to weigh a bloody ton anyway. 7Kg already with no brakes, pedals or chain. Though I could save 700g by going the way of rigid forks, I'll see how it feels first though.

As I couldn't get the BB out I slapped a few bits on to see how it goes together, first job after the BB is getting rid of the shocking paint.

Attachments

• Dunk.jpg
    Dunk.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 81
clockworkgazz":3n6pb4fx said:
looking good what colour you going for?

I was going to try and get a reference for the blue that Ford use for their hot focus models.

I've just worked out that I can save 1.2Kg with rigid forks and light pedals. Think I prefer the comfort of bounce and grippy pedals though. The frame has absolutely zero flex in it, even for ally.

Christ, that looks good, why you painting it again?

Are those lime green 'zochis, because they look gold in the photo, which does go with the frame. Respray the forks sez I.

Think I prefer the comfort of bounce

Looking at last years aftermath thread theres only a handful of sus forks amongst the group :?

Is the terrain mostly track? .Again looking at last years thread it looks so :? . I was thinking of using schawbe hurricane tyres,they've tread on the edges and a central ridge for quicker rolling,i thought it might make the going a little smother and easier.
What's everyone else using ?

dyna-ti":gdcmk7sc said:

Looking at last years aftermath thread theres only a handful of sus forks amongst the group :?

Is the terrain mostly track? .Again looking at last years thread it looks so :? . I was thinking of using schawbe hurricane tyres,they've tread on the edges and a central ridge for quicker rolling,i thought it might make the going a little smother and easier.

I would go with rigid but in all seriousness that frame is the closest to zero percent flex that I have ever felt. I had serious discomfort in my wrists and elbows on it from cobbles.

I was thinking about the tyres I have on it already. Old Specialized Crossroads 1.95's which sound pretty much the same as the Schwalbes. They're pretty light and wider than their size suggests.

dyna-ti":31lbrr10 said:

i'll be fully rigid and using tioga factory xc tyres with the same kind of tread as your's :cool:

Here's how I remember it. Icy bastard landrover track up to lodge. Then snowy bollocks undrideable singletrack for a couple of miles, then some sketchy lumpy donwhilly bit that had been all buggered up by a narrow-track cat digger thingy. Then some really fast swoopy single-track that was wetter than it was icy down to the road.

Summary: You don't need bounce.

Although having said that it looks like route is a bit different this year.

I need a bit of bouncy bouncy for the arm and I would take grippy tyres as if it is snowy then you get grip or if it is muddy you get traction but what do I know.

Back