Getting a frame blasted....

tee-one

Senior Retro Guru
What sort of money am i looking at to have a set of frame and forks blasted?

And what sort of blasting isnt going to cause damage to a steel 531 frame?

Never had it done before but ive got one or two frames and forks to have done.....

I know the easy option is go ask someone at a blasters.. But dont want to be quoted too much and it be done wrong... :?

Help appricated... Cheers guys :)

Realy? that cheap? Bloody hell i was expecting it to be up near £50 or something... :shock:

make sure they dont use cast iron grit it will rust inside the tubes instantly.
If you keep media blasting a frame it will eventually go through the tubes
It should be done with care and attention

playford":3iiit68o said:
I dont think they are allowed to blast with cast iron anymore?
the local guys I have used do,to answer the OP you should used medium glass bead 60-100 grit or even better dry ice,/soda.

Ok cool. I was worried about the iron blasting. Had heard of it but wasnt sure on what circumstances its used.

Dont need it powdercoated so hopefully keep the price down... Its hopefully going to be professionally painted anyway... (the first of the two frames)

So medium glass bead.... Perfect...

Oh and just one more thing... Anyone ever tried doing it at home with a compressor? Guessing a frame is too big to get in the common blasting cabinet haha

Cheers guys :D

retrowagen1234":409mue3n said:
Oh and just one more thing... Anyone ever tried doing it at home with a compressor? Guessing a frame is too big to get in the common blasting cabinet haha

forget it you need an industrial compressor otherwise it will take you a week,better off using aircraft paint stripper

retrowagen1234":tq24vwt1 said:

AndyPA":tq24vwt1 said:
forget it you need an industrial compressor otherwise it will take you a week,better off using aircraft paint stripper

Not true; it can be done at home- my old man's got this kit:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... %20Blaster

and he did my motorbike frame with it, no problem.

Still far more economical to get someone else to do it for you, though.

Latest posts

Back