Manitou Comp Overhaul

MarinGaz

Dirt Disciple
Just re-laced my early 90's Manitou Comps with new Elastomers, Top and lower rebounds from SuspensionForks.Com. What a treat, like new!,

Attachments

• DSCF1094.JPG
    DSCF1094.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 3,920
Sam, Full STX SE laced onto Marin Bear Valey SE 1994, original spec, added Manitou Comps, XTR Pedals and BB, Best bike ever owned, still selects every gear. Photos to follow

pretty sure I still have a NOS set of Answer elastomers for some of these somewhere (nothing for th 4/3/2/1/efc left though).
PM me if there are any comp owners needing a freshen up . .

Comp disassembly

How the heck did you get these things apart? I'm trying to separate the lowers from the uppers. They almost come apart but are hanging up just beneath the main seals. Don't want to pull so hard I damage something... Suggestions? :?

Thanks!

Breakdown...

I sorted it out.

There was enough grime on the wiper seals at the top of each leg, that I didn't notice the retaining rings, they blended right into the seals. Put on the cheaters and there they were.:roll:

There's a small angle on one end of each retaining ring; big enough to allow a pick or small screwdriver to get in there and pry the ring loose. Once that's done it all pulls apart.... :D

QQ please

Have the manitou 4 have stripped and looking at the elastomers I cant decide if they are reuseable or not. Lookinging at them they are buldged in the middle and wondered if they had compressed to much, so the question is what is the free length when new?

Sounds like what mine where like when I re-built them.

Just get new elastomers, the forks will be as new and so different to now.

Back