The British Eagle revisited - Page 8

Hats off this is an amazing rebuild.
How do you get the time? Can you put the details of this in the build thread please they are as valuable to the rest of us as the technical stuff!

mcrocker":1xty09bq said:
Hats off this is an amazing rebuild.
How do you get the time? Can you put the details of this in the build thread please they are as valuable to the rest of us as the technical stuff!

I do work fairly fast

But... I suppose not having any kids is the big time saver!

Brake it down!

I got all my brake hardware sorted so I've done them today

So we started off with these:

DSCF1864.jpg

Made them into this:

DSCF1874.jpg

Which is pretty cool but leaves us needing pinch bolts straddle wire and straddles

Needless to say the stuff on the bike looked very far past being pretty

So I have come up with several small plans

I've no idea where the correct pinch bolts and clamping plate might be obtainable from and it would probably cost something silly...

So:

DSCF2153.jpg

Is my solution and I splashed out £2 on some fancy ano alu dust caps

DSCF2156.jpg

I have regular pinch bolts (with the cable hole in them) and the cleaned up clamping plates from the cleaned up brakes

The pinch bolts came from Halfords!

Then look what happened:

DSCF2157.jpg

This is making a lot of sense, the bike a more modern LX brake on the front where the pinch bolt/cable clamp is on top of the arm...

This set me to thinking about the forks... Sure enough they aren't original to the bike either as they are from '94 on

Anyway they look damned cool and they've just been rebuilt as outlandish expense:)

So what am I gonna do?

A normal person would probably have stopped and gone to a hardware store on their lunch braek the next day... but not me

DSCF2159.jpg

I clamped it and used an angle grinder on it, then dressed it with a file

- This is probably another explanation behind my workrate... I don't stop for much

Anyway back to the brakes

Look at these:

DSCF2168.jpg

I felt damned lucky when I found these £5 each, worth every penny this is an important detail

I was gonna for ano ti canti bolts but this is sufficiant blueness in the brake area - Smiles for me

DSCF2170.jpg

DSCF2171.jpg

Bad pictures and everything covered in grease as usual but that is almost it

I just don't have any suitable grips!

I was gonna recycle a set but to be honest (you'll see what I mean when it's finished) this bike really looks like it deserves a hand picked pair, rather than random hand me downs

I also put the drive train together:

DSCF2160.jpg

The cable outers are recycled:

DSCF2164.jpg

DSCF2163.jpg

In case I'm losing anybody with the wild extravagance of my spending:)

Inners are new of course

In case I'm worrying anybody with my level of penny piching!

You have the same way of thought as me if it don't fit make it fit :LOL: I have just reused a 20 year old brake cable as my new shimano one snapped :x gave the cable a good scrub/polish with autosol & it's come up great & is smoother to :D Your big money bike is looking great :p

Not much left to do :D :( .

Mixed emotions, will be nice to see it finished, but no updates to look forward to.

Anything else lined up? ;)

jamabikes":3kju8jjs said:
got a lovely set of nos fred salmon clear grips if you want them.

Ah that's cool

Thanks very much for the suggestion/offer

I've already tracked down the perfect set they are black Krayton lockons with blue ano clamps

Bought them online, when they get here, that is it! I'm totally done!

weeman_mtb":3bf6tilv said:
Not much left to do :D :( .

Mixed emotions, will be nice to see it finished, but no updates to look forward to.

Anything else lined up? ;)

Yeah my beloved Univega has been getting jealous!

Well done geezer. Looks top notch and lots of elbow grease with inspired touches. I'll be sad/excited when you finish it. One of the top threads on here.

Matt

Bensherman":ofo4zcia said:
Well done geezer. Looks top notch and lots of elbow grease with inspired touches. I'll be sad/excited when you finish it. One of the top threads on here.

Matt

That's a huge compliment, thanks man

Latest posts

Back