Raleigh Cobra, it's not that bad honest. Update 2 years on.

sylus":2xsfgog4 said:
As long as it's old skool and you enjoy riding it the that's all that matters. It is at the entry end so you know it has limitations but it is a bike....2 wheels, pedals and it goes and if it works for you and puts a smile on ya mush then why not

Don't worry about the elitist snobbery that happens a lot in here.... Even the most up themselves label snobs can be very helpfull

Its the bike we're criticising here not the members.

These are the sort of bikes that give cycling a bad name as a whole, cheap nasty BSOs that can still be found today in supermarkets, cheap, plain bad facsimiles of better models.

Its only just now that the tide is slowly, and I mean slowly turning against these sort of bikes - people are finally realising that you have to spend money to get a decent bike.

Even in the Retrobike world, a bad bike is still a bad bike even if it is still shiny - that bike is made using the bare minimum to pass any safety standard of the day and to generate as much profit as possible. It probably only survives because, as with many bikes like this, it was ridden a few times and the owner though 'gawd, this is awful' and left it in the garage.

Its not elitism or snobbery, there are many halfway decent bikes to be had, even for the 30 quid you spent on this.

Its a shame these bikes ever existed as they give such a bad reputation to cycling as a whole.

Whch I am sure Lgf when your a newbie on the end of that snobbery... Makes them feel so much better

sylus":1m8c8pio said:
Whch I am sure Lgf when your a newbie on the end of that snobbery... Makes them feel so much better

Depends on the size of the chip on your shoulder doesnt it.

If read with an eye of trying to learn something, snobbery doesnt come into it.

Agreed

However when it comes to chips on shoulders I always find the size matches the budget

Now, back on the topic:

my_raleigh_122.jpg

You will find date stamps here & there to date it, the stem will have one and so will the hubs if they are Maillard.

But I would lavish any more money on it other than a set of cables - yuou are simply making a rod for your own back.

Check out older Claud Butlers, Diamond Backs, Ridgebacks, Giants and many other brand names for decent frames on tight a budget. If I come across anything decent I'll try to help out.

ouch :(

I didn't mean to start an argument and I certainly didn't realise you had to have a good retro bike to be allowed to post.

I know it's cheap I would never in a million years by a new raleigh, saracen etc due to there complete rubbishness today.

However for cheap fun that can be enjoyed for very little outlay my raleigh will do just nicely thankyou.

I enjoy tinkering with bikes as much as riding them but as I'm at university I don't have a car therefore, this means I can't go tip/barn hunting for lost jewels and instead I have to rely on either riding the bikes home having taken 16 buses and a long walk to get there or rely on others generosity to deliver.

I like my bike :evil: :D

And I'm sticking around with my cheapo bikes so expect many more look what I've found posts from me. :p

spike3":3vdzmm85 said:
ouch :(

I didn't mean to start an argument and I certainly didn't realise you had to have a good retro bike to be allowed to post.

I know it's cheap I would never in a million years by a new raleigh, saracen etc due to there complete rubbishness today.

However for cheap fun that can be enjoyed for very little outlay my raleigh will do just nicely thankyou.

I enjoy tinkering with bikes as much as riding them but as I'm at univeristy I don't have a car therfore, this means I can't go tip/barn hunting for lost jewels and instead I have to relly on either riding the bikes home having taken 16 buses and a long walk to get there or rely on others generosity to deliver.

I like my bike :evil: :D

And I'm sticking around with my cheapo bikes so expect many more look what Ive found posts from me. :p

Well, I'm sorry you took it that way, but this isnt about the members, its about the bikes they post. And as this is a public forum, expect to see some flack.

Just look at the readers bikes - there is a reason why cheap bikes are not heavily featured.

Carry on tinkering.

Back