Internal Cable-ing(?)...top tips please..Eureka, done it!

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi there,
Well I'm getting a little bored trying to thread a new rear brake cable on my newly acquired Klein Attitute (2000). Guides no longer there. Any top tips would be most appreciated.
Cheers, Carl

Re: Internal Cable-ing(?)...top tips please

Harryburgundy":3hslf9nh said:
Hi there,
Well I'm getting a little bored trying to thread a new rear brake cable on my newly acquired Klein Attitute (2000). Guides no longer there. Any top tips would be most appreciated.
Cheers, Carl
Cut the old cable off at both ends, join the new to it with insulating tape and carefully pull through. If you've removed the old cable or it's snapped obviously a no no. If you "fray the ends a bit first and slot together then bind tightly with tape well down each cable, should go through with care. If the cables out, get some thin welding rod to use as a probe to locate the exit hole, then repeat taping the new cable to the rod. Another alternative is to super glue it to the end of the rod. With a bit of poking about/rod pre bending you should find the exit hole. hope this helps?

Grrr

Thanks there.....yeh cables out....don't seem to have any welding rods lying around but I'll find something similar. Cheers WR :)

cables

apparently,if you get some string,put it in the hole,get the misses(or yours)to lend you her hair dryer you can blow the string through in seconds (watched american chopper) :LOL:

cable problems

Unfortunately that won't work with the inner cable guide missing. You will need some sort of a thin wire probe to thread through. Still going to be tricky. Some people drill out the guides so you can thread an outer right through also, as this is easier with the larger hole.

I used old spokes on my Proflex swingarm - did the job! However the swingarm might be shorter than the gap you're trying to bridge.

Cable

Thanks Guys...I'll try all the above later....have already tried the 'put string in and suck it out with a vacuum cleaner' 'trick', :LOL: but that didn't work.
Starting to feel like a scene from The Karate Kid or Grasshopper or something!
:LOL:

Frustrated

Cripes this is frustrating, I want to come and get it done for you, I love solving bike related problems like these, we're all willing you to succeed!

Back